Carcinoma of the maxillary antrum — A 10 year experience
- 9 Downloads
A retrospective analysis was performed of 250 cases of carcinoma of the maxillary antrum seen over a 10 years period (1975–1984). 98.24% patients were seen in T3 and T4 stages (UICC 1985). 40.7% patients presented with clinically palpable nodes. 42.9% patients were treated by radical radiation and 18.6% by a combination of preoperative radiation followed by surgery. Rest 38.5% patients were treated with palliative intention. Three year disease free survival was 39.58% with radiation alone and 51.91% with combined modality treatment which includes patients salvaged by surgery. Failures were mainly at the local site, 75.86% with radiation alone and 60% with combined modality treatment. Combined modality treatment, preferably preoperative radiation followed by radical surgery, gives the best results in the management of carcinoma of the maxillary antrum.
KeywordsNasal Cavity Paranasal Sinus Maxillary Sinus Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Preoperative Radiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ackerman and del Regato’s Cancer Diagnosis, Trcatment and Prognosis (1985): St Louis, CV Mosby Company : 237–247.Google Scholar
- 2.Chretien, P.B. (1975): Unique immunobiological aspects of head and neck carcinoma.Canadian Journal of Otolaryngology,4 : 225–235.Google Scholar
- 3.Calcaterra, T.C. and Juillard, G. (1985): Nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. In : Haskell, C.M. ed. Cancer Treatment, Second editionPhiladelphia : WB Saunders Company : 488–491.Google Scholar
- 4.Jesse, R.H., Goepfert, H. and Lindberg, R.D. (1986): Squamous cell carcinoma of maxillary and ethmoid sinuses. In : Proceedings of the seventh national cancer conference.Philadelphia, JB Lippincott : 193–197.Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, F. and Ogura, J. (1981): Maxillary sinus carcinoma.Larynggoscope,91 : 133–139.Google Scholar
- 9.Mc Nicoll, W., Hopkin, N., Dalley, V. M. and Shaw, H.J. (1984): Cancer of the paranasal sinuses and nasal cavities - Part II.Journal of Laryngology and Otology,98 : 707–718.Google Scholar
- 10.Pointon, R.C.S. (1969): Neoplasia of the nose and sinuses.Journal of Laryngology,83: 407–415.Google Scholar
- 15.UICC (1985): TNM classification of malignant tumours.Geneva : 27–29.Google Scholar