Comparative study of Astemizole—A new H1 antagonist with a conventional antihistaminic in patients with allergic rhinitis
- 7 Downloads
A double blind study to evaluate in allergic rhinitis the efficacy of Astemizole with a classical antihistaminic—Chlorpheneramine is described. The results indicate that there is a significantly better clinical improvement with Astemizole compared with Chlorpheneramine. Except of weight gain, adverse Cholinergic and sedative effects were also minimal with Astemizole.
KeywordsAllergic Rhinitis Terfenadine Astemizole Chlorpheniramine Anticholinergic Side Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Callier, J. ; Engelen, R.F. ; Ianniello, I.; et al. (1981), Astemizole in the treatment of Hay fever. An international double blind study comparing a weekly treatment with a placebo.Current Therapeutic Research 29: 24–29.Google Scholar
- 3.Howrath, P.H. ; Emmanuel, M.B. & Holgate S.T. (1984), Astemizole a potent histamine H1 receptor antagonist effect in allergic rhino conjunctivitis on antigen and histamine induced skin weal responses and relations to serum levels.Br. J. Clin. Pharmaco 18: 1–9.Google Scholar
- 4.Laduron, P.M. ; Janssen, P.F.M. ; Gommeren, W. & Laysen, J.E. (1982), In vitro and in vivo binding characteristics of a new long acting histamine H1 antagonist, astemizole.Mole Pharmac. 21: 294–300.Google Scholar
- 5.Laduron, P.M. (1983), Histamine receptor binding studies in His tamine and Allergic disease ed. Emmanual M.B., Oxford Medicine Publishing Foundation, 10–11.Google Scholar
- 6.Nicholson, A.N. ; Smith, P.A. & Spencer, M.B. (1982), Antihistamines and visual function studies on dynamic activity and the papillary response to light.Brit. J. Clin. Pharmac.14: 683–690.Google Scholar
- 7.Nicholson, A.N. & Stone, B.M. (1982), Performance studies with the H1 Histamine receptor antagonists Astemizole and Terfenidine.Br. J. Clin. Pharmac. 13: 199–202.Google Scholar
- 8.Seppala, T. & Savolainen, K. (1982), Effect of Astemizole on human psychomotor performance.Curr. Ther. Res. 31: 638–644.Google Scholar