Detection of neutrophil inhibition factor (NIF) in patient with carcinoma of larynx using skin-window technique
- 8 Downloads
Tumour antigen-induced leucocyte inhibition was studied in vivo in patients with laryngeal carcinomas (squamous-cell type in 13 and transitional cell type in 1 case) and benign tumours (squamous cell papilloma in 2, fibroepithelial polyp in 1 and mixed mesenchymal tumour in 1 case). All the patients were biopsied and autologous tumour-antigen (ATA) was used in vivo skin window test.
Release of of ATA-induced neutrophil inhibition factor (NIF) was detected in 12 of 14 (85.7%) malignant cases. Basophilic chemotaxis occurred in 4 malignant cases, following exposure to ATA. Furthermore, 4 other malignant cases also gave positive ATA-induced delayed hypersensitivity (DH) response. Results of this study suggest possible role of immunological factors in limiting tumour dissemination.
KeywordsAmyloidosis Tumour Antigen Laryngeal Carcinoma Malignant Case Larynx Cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Black, M.M. and Leis, H.P. (1970): Human breast carcinoma, part III. Cellular response to autologus breast cancer : skin-window procedure,New York State Journal of Medicine 15 : 2603.Google Scholar
- 6.Cortesina, G., Bussi, M., Morra, B., Beatrice, F., Cavallo, G.P., Fortunato, V Di, Poggio, E., Rendine, S., Sartoris, A., and Landolfo, S. (1983): Specific LIF production in laryngeal cancer patients : evidence of suppressor activity exerted by adherent cells.Tumori 69 : 497–502.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Cortesina, G., Cavallo, G.P., Beatrice, F. Sartoris, A., Bussi, M., Morra, B., Fortunato, V Di, Poggio, E. and Rendine S. (1982): Production of leucocyte migration inhibition factor by lymphocytes of larynx cancer patients stimulated by laryngeal carcinoma solubilized membrane antigens.Tumori 68 : 39–46.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Dacie, J.V. and Lewis, S.M. (1975): Practical Haematology, 5th edition (ELBS and Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh) 48–53.Google Scholar
- 10.King, E.J. and Wooton, I.D.P. (1959): Microanalysis in medical biochemistry 3rd edition (J & A Churchill Ltd, London) p 37.Google Scholar
- 11.Purohit, J.P., Dayal, D., Kapoor, A.K. and Khan, I.U. (1986): Immunopathological correlation with lymph node metastasis in squamous cell carcinoma of larynx and pharynx.Ind. J. Otolaryngology,38 : 98–101.Google Scholar
- 12.Shaw Henry (1979) : Tumours of larynx, in Scott-Brown’s diseases of Ear Nose and Throat Vol. 4 (Ballantyne J., Groves, J, editors) Butterworths ; p 439–440.Google Scholar