District-level rice-yield estimation for Orissa using satellite data
- 32 Downloads
Remotely-sensed data transformed into a vegetation index (radiance ratio of near infrared to red) has been related to district rice yields for Orissa using IRS-1A LISS-I data of kharif seasons 1988–89 and 1989–90. Using the empirical relation of the first year, estimation of rice yield has been done for the 1989–90 kharif season. Deviations in the districts of coastal tract and central tableland ranged from 1.9 to 11.1 percent whereas deviations were larger in Eastern Ghat and Northern plateau of Orissa.
KeywordsRice Yield Rice Crop Ratio Digital False Colour Composite Agroclimatic Zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous (1988). IRS-1A data products system. (Ahmedabad: Indian Space Research Organisation), Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 10–12.Google Scholar
- Dubey R P, Mahey R K, Ajwani N, Sidhu S S, Kalubarme M H, Sridhar V N, Jhorar O P, Cheema S S, Narang R S and Navalgund R R (1990). Wheat yield and production estimate for Punjab using remotely sensed data. Status Report, RSAM/SAC/CAPE/SR/25/90, Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad.Google Scholar
- Nageswara Rao P P, Krishna Rao M V and Ayyangar R S (1985). Infrared leaf senescene of rice crop and its relationship with grain yield.J. Indian Soc. Photo-Int. and Remote Sensing, 13(1): 1–8.Google Scholar
- Parihar J S, Panigrahy S, Patel N K, Dadhwal V K, Medhavy T T, Ghose B K, Ravi N, Pani K C, Panigraphy B K, Sridhar V N, Mohanty R R, Nanda S K, Tripathi D P, Misra P K, Bhatt H P, Oza S R, Sudhakar S, Sudha K S, Kumar P and Das N K (1990): Rice acreage estimation in Orissa using remotely sensed data. Status Report, RSAM/SAC/CAPE/SR/25/90, Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, pp. 137–152.Google Scholar
- Rao C R (1973). Linear statistical inference and its applications, New Delhi, New York, Wiley Eastern.Google Scholar
- Ravi N, Patel N K, Navalgund R R, Desai N D and Patel M R (1988): Rice yield estimation using spectral and meteorological parameters.Oryza, 25: 132–142.Google Scholar
- Sahu B N (1979). Crop Substitution in Orissa, New Delhi, Indian Council of Agricultural Research.Google Scholar
- Sharma T, Sudha K S, Ravi N, Navalgund R R, Tomar K P, Chakravarty N V K and Das D K (1992). Procedures for wheat yield prediction using LANDSAT MSS and IRS-1A data.Int. J. Remote Sensing (In press).Google Scholar