Nasal polyps — histopathologic spectrum
- 68 Downloads
Analysis of 345 polypoidal masses in nose and nasal sinuses with clinical diagnosis of nasal polyp, observed in 10 years, revealed 175 (50.7%) non- neoplastic lesions and 170 (49.3%) neoplasms. Among the non- neoplastic lesions, there were 110 cases (62.8%) of true nasal polyps including 74 cases (67.3%) of allergic polyps and 36 (32.7%) inflammatory ones. The next common non- neoplastic polyp was due to rhinosporidiosis (31.4%). Benign neoplastic lesions consisted mainly of haemangioma (45.7%), angiofibroma (23.2%), fibroma (6.2%), transitional cell papilloma, inverted papilloma, adenoma-3.9% each. Squamous cell carcinoma was the commonest malignant lesion encountered (36.6%) followed by 19.5% of adenoid cystic carcinoma,17.1% of anaplastic carcinoma and 12.2% of transitional cell carcinoma. Adeno carcinoma (4.9%), Mucoepidermoid carcinoma (2.4%), non- Hodgkin lymphoma (4.9%) and embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma (2.4%) were the other malignant lesions.
Key wordsNasal Polyp Nasal Mass Nose Nasal Sinus.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Birt, B. D. (1930): Reticulum Cell Sarcoma of the nose and paranasal sinuses. Journal of Laryngology and otology 84: 615.Google Scholar
- 4.Drake-Lee, A. B. (1987): Scott Brown’s Otolaryngology, Rhinology. Chapter 9. 5th edn. London, Butter-worths. 142–153.Google Scholar
- 5.Fechner, R. E. (1990): Upper respiratory tract and ear. In Pathology. Vol-2.9th edn. ed. J. M. Kissane. Saint Louis, C. V. Mosby Co.,Google Scholar
- 7.Jussawalla, D. J., Sath, P. V., Yeole, B. D. and Natekar, M. V. (1984): Cancer incidence in Aurangabad City. Indian Journal of Cancer. 21: 25.Google Scholar
- 11.Openheimer, E. A. and Rosenstein, B. J. (1979): Differential pathology of nasal polyps in cystic fibrosis and atopy. Laboratory Investigation. 40: 445.Google Scholar
- 15.Samaddar, R.R. and Sen M.K. (1990): Rhinosporidiosis in Bankura. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology. 33:129.Google Scholar
- 16.Shanmugaratnam, K. (1978): Histopathological typing of upper respiratory tumours, Geneva, W.H.O. P-15.Google Scholar
- 17.Willis, R.A. (1962):Borderlands of embryology and Pathology. 2nd edn. London, Butterworths. P-351.Google Scholar