Fluid effects on the core scismic behavior of a liquid metal reactor
In this paper, a numerical application algorithm for applying the CFAM (Consistent Fluid Added Mass) matrix for a core seismic analysis is developed and applied to the 7-ducts core system to investigate the fluid effects on the dynamic characteristics and the seismic time history responses. To this end, three cases such as the in-air condition, the in-water condition without the fluid coupling terms, and the in-water condition with the fluid coupling terms are considered in this paper. From modal analysis, the core duct assemblies revealed strongly coupled out-of-phase vibration modes unlike the other cases with the fluid coupling terms considered. From the results of the seismic time history analysis, it was also verified that the fluid coupling terms in the CFAM matrix can significantly affect the impact responses and the seismic displacement responses of the ducts.
Key WordsCore Scismic Analysis Fluid-Structure Interaction Consistent Fluid Added Mass Matrix FAMD (Fluid Added Mass and Damping) Code Liquid Metal Reactor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cook, R. D., Malkus, D. S. and Plesha, M. E., 1989, Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis, Third Edition, John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Fritz, R. J., 1972,“The Effect of Liquids on the Dynamic Motions of Immersed Solids,”Journal of Engineering for Industry, Transactions of the ASME, pp. 167–173.Google Scholar
- Intercomparison of Liquid Metal Reactor Sci.smic Analysis Codes, 1993, Volume 1 : Validation of Sci.smic Analysis Codes Using Reactor Core Experiments, IAEA-TECDOC-798.Google Scholar
- Intercomparison of Liquid Metal Reactor Sci.smic Analysis Codes, 1994, Volume 2 : Verification and Improvement of Reactor Code Seismic Analysis Codes Using Core Mock-up Experiments, IAEA-TECDOC-829.Google Scholar
- Intercomparison of Liquid Metal Reactor Seismic Analysis Codes, 1995, Volume 3 : Comparison of Observed Effects with Computer Simulated Effects on Reactor Codes from Seismic Disturbances, IAEA-TECDOC-882.Google Scholar
- Koo, G. H. and Lee, J. H., 2001, “Effect of Fluid Added Mass on Vibration Characteristics and Seismic Responses of Immersed Concentric Cylinders,”Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 25–33.Google Scholar
- Koo, G. H. and Lee, J. H., 2003, “Development of FAMD Code to Calculate the Fluid Added Mass and Damping of Arbitrary Structures Submerged in Confined Viscous Fluid,”KSME International Journal, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 457–466.Google Scholar
- Koo, G. H. and Lee, J. H., 2003, “Finite Element Analysis for Evaluation of Viscous and Eccentricity Effects on Fluid Added Mass and Damping,”Journal of the Earthquake Engneering Society of Korea, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 21–27.Google Scholar