Phase of the circadian clock is accurately transferred from mother to daughter cells in the dinoflagellateGonyaulax polyedra
- 27 Downloads
In the first cycle following transfer from a 12 h light-12 h dark cycle (LD12:12) to constant darkness (DD), the standard deviation in circadian phase among individual clocks in populations ofGonyaulax polyedra is approximately 60 min. When a culture is transferred to constant light conditions (LL) from an LD 12:12 cycle, the standard deviation increases in the first 2–3 d, but then remains unchanged, suggesting a lack of observable desynchronization in LL after the transient period. The synchrony in a cell population is preserved even after several cell divisions. The results indicate that variations in period among cells are small, that the period of an individual clock does not fluctuate randomly from day to day, and that the circadian phase of a mother cell is faithfully passed to the clocks of the daughter cells.
Index EntriesGonyaulax polyedra circadian clock biological clock circadian rhythm precision of the clock cell cycle cell division dinoflagellate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Krasnow, R., Vetterling, W., Haas, E., Dunlap, J., Taylor, W., and Hastings, J. W. (1981), Bioluminescence: Current Perspectives, Nealson, K. H., ed., Burgess, Minneapolis, MN, pp. 52–63.Google Scholar
- 3.Pittendrigh, C. S. (1975), The Molecular Basis of Circadian Rhythms, Hastings, J. W. and Schweiger, H.-G. eds., Dahlem Konferenzen, Berlin, pp. 11–48.Google Scholar
- 4.Sweeney, B. M. and Hastings, J. W. (1958), J. Protozool.5, 217.Google Scholar
- 5.Edmunds, L. N., Jr., Chuang, L., Jarett, R. M., and Terry, O. W. (1971), J. Interdiscipl. Cycle Res.2, 121.Google Scholar
- 7.Edmunds, L. N., Jr. (1971), Biochronometry, Menaker, M., ed. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, pp. 594–611.Google Scholar
- 11.Broda, H., Brugge, D., Homma, K., and Hastings, J. W. (1985), Cell Biophys.8, 47.Google Scholar
- 12.Njus, D., McMurry, L., and Hastings, J. W. (1977), J. Comp. Physiol.117, 335.Google Scholar
- 18.Taylor, W. R., Wilson, S., Presswood, R., and Hastings, J. W. (1982), J. Interdiscipl. Cycle Res.13, 71.Google Scholar