Production of prostaglandin e by squamous carcinoma of the head and neck and adenocarcinoma of gastrointestinal tissue
- 14 Downloads
The production of prostaglandin Eex vivo was studied in samples of 31 squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck (SCCHN) and 12 adenocarcinomas of gastrointestinal tract (ACGI). As a control, the PGE production was measured in 22 samples of noninvolved mucosa in patients with SCCHN and 12 samples of gastrointestinal mucosas. The mean PGE production by SCCHN was significantly higher than in normal mucosa. Furthermore, the PGE production by tumors which recurred or spread to regional lymph node within 18 months after surgery was higher than in tumors which did not recur within that interval. Also, production of PGE by noninvolved mucosa was significantly higher in patients in which tumor recurred after surgery than in patients which were tumor free. On the other hand, the mean production of PGE by ACGI was not different from that of normal mucosa. These data show that determination of PGE production might have prognostic significance in SCCHN.
Key WordsHead and neck cancer Gastrointestinal cancer PGE
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Goodwin J S, Ceuppens J L: PRostaglandis, cellular immunity and cancer.Prostaglandins Leukotriens Cancer 4, 1 (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.Bishop H, Haynes J, Evans D, Elston C, Johnson J, Blarney V: Radioimmunoassay (RIA) of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) in primary breast cancer and its relationship to histologic grade.Clin Oncol 6, 380 (1980).Google Scholar
- 9.Bennett A, Carrol M A, Melhuish P B, Stamford I F:Treatment of mouse carcinoma in vivo with a prostaglandin E2 analogue and indomethacin.Br J Cancer 2, 245 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.Hubbard N E, Chapkin R S, Erickson K L: Inhibition of growth and linoleate-enhanced metastases of a transplant-able mouse mammary tumor by indomethacin.Cancer Res 43, 111 (1988).Google Scholar
- 17.Bennett A, Carter L, Stamford I F, Tanner N S B:Prostaglandin-like material extracted from squamous carcinomas of the head and neck.BrJ Cancer 41, 204 (1980).Google Scholar
- 19.Johnson J T, Rabin B S, Wagner R L: Prostaglandin E2 of the upper aerodigestive tract.Ann Otol Rinol Laryngol 96, 213 (1987).Google Scholar
- 20.Klapan I, Snyderman C H, Heo D S, Johnson J T, Whiteside T L: Prostaglandin production and immunosuppression by squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg (submitted) (1991).Google Scholar
- 21.Snyderman C H, Klapan I, Heo D S, Wagner R, Johnson J T, Whiteside T L: In vitro production of prostaglandin E2 by squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg (submitted) (1991).Google Scholar