Prediction of error due to eccentricity of hole in hole-drilling method using neural network
- 148 Downloads
The measurement of residual stresses by the hole-drilling method has been used to evaluate residual stresses in structural members. In this method, eccentricity can usually occur between the hole center and rosette gage center. In this study, we obtained the magnitude of the error due to eccentricity of a hole through the finite element analysis. To predict the magnitude of the error due to eccentricity of a hole in the biaxial residual stress field, it could be learned through the backpropagation neural network. The prediction results of the error using the trained neural network showed good agreement with FE analyzed results.
Key WordsHole-Drilling Method Finite Element Analysis Residual Stress Neural Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ASTM Standard E837-99, 1999, Standard Test Method for Determining Residual Stresses by the Hole-Drilling Strain-Gage Method.Google Scholar
- Cho, S. S. and Joo, W. S., 2000, “A Study on Fatigue Crack Growth and Life Modelling using Backpropagation Neural Network,”Transactions of the KSME, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 634–644 (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Fausett, L., 1994,Fundamentals of Neural Network: Architectures, Algorithms and Applications, Prentice Hall, pp. 3–37.Google Scholar
- Kim, C., Seok, S. and Yang, W. H., 2000, “Influence of the Hole Eccentricity in Residual Stresses Measurement by the Hole-drilling Method,”Transactions of the KSME, Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 2059–2064 (in Korean).Google Scholar
- Mathar, J., 1934, “Determination of Initial Stresses by Measuring the Deformation Around Drilled Holes,”Trans. ASME, Iron & Steel, Vol. 56, pp. 249–254.Google Scholar
- Rumelhart, D. E., Hinton, G. E. and Williams, R. J., 1986, “Learning Internal Representations by Error Propagation:in Parallel Distributed Processing,”The MIT Press, Vol. 1, pp. 675–695.Google Scholar
- Schajer, G. S. and Tootoonian, M., 1997, “A New Rosette Design for More Reliable Hole-drilling Residual Stress Measurements,”Experimental Mechanics, pp. 299–306.Google Scholar
- Timoschenko, S. P. and Goodier, J. N., 1970,Theory of Elasticity, 3rd ed, McGraw-Hill, pp. 90–97.Google Scholar
- Tootoonian, M. and Schajer, G. S., 1995, “Enhanced Sensitivity Residual-stress Measurements Using Taper-hole Drilling,”Experimental Mechanics, pp. 124–12.Google Scholar