Interlocking intramedullary nailing for the treatment of tibial fractures
Thirty-seven tibial shaft fractures in 34 patients were treated with the Grosse-Kempf interlocking intramedullary nail over a two year period.
Thirty-six tibiae were consolidated at a median of 17 weeks; one had re-fractured following nail removal in a separate injury, but was now uniting on conservative treatment. Using very detailed clinical and radiological analysis, and excluding the patient who had re-fractured, the results were excellent in 19, good in 8, fair in 6 and poor in 3.
The most significant complications were haematoma formation and additional comminution during nail insertion.
Overall, we found tibial nailing to be a satisfactory procedure, facilitating rapid rehabilitation with early weight bearing and resulting in predictable fracture healing in good alignment. Author responsible for correspondence:
KeywordsIntramedullary Nailing Tibial Fracture Tibial Shaft Tibial Shaft Fracture Tibial Nailing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alho, A., Ekeland, A., Stromsoe, K., Folleras, G., Thoresen, B. O. Intramedullary nailing for displaced tibial shaft fractures. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.) 1990: 72, 805–809.Google Scholar
- 2.Bone, L. B., Johnson, K.D. Treatment of tibial fractures by reaming and intramedullary nailing. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Am.) 1986: 68-A, 877–887.Google Scholar
- 4.Court-Brown, C. M., Christie, J., McQueen, M. M. Closed intramedullary tibial nailing; its use in closed and type I open fractures. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.) 1990: 72-B, 605–611.Google Scholar
- 5.Ekeland, A., Thoresen, B. O., Alho, A., Stromsoe, K., Folleras, G., Haukebo, A. Interlocking intramedullary nailing in the treatment of tibial fractures. Clin. Orthop. 1988: (231), 205–215.Google Scholar
- 7.Gustilo, R. B., Anderson, J. T. Prevention of infection in the treatment of one thousand and twenty-five open fractures of long bones. Retrospective and prospective analyses. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Am.) 1976: 58-A, 453–458.Google Scholar
- 10.Kempfe, I., Grosse, A., Lafforgue, D. L’apport du verrouillage dans l’enclouage centro-medullaire des os longs. Rev. Chir. Orthop. 1978 9: 74, 635.Google Scholar
- 11.Kenwright, J., Goodship, A. E., Kelly, D. J., Newman, J. H., Harris, J. D., Richardson, J. B., Evans, M., Spriggins, A. J., Burroughs, S. J., Rowley, D. J. Effect of controlled axial micromovement on healing of tibial fractures. Lancet 1986 Nov. 22: 2(8517), 1195–1187.Google Scholar
- 12.Klemm, K. W., Borner, M. Interlocking nailing of fractures of the femur and tibia. Clin. Orthop. 1986: (212), 89–100.Google Scholar
- 13.Kuntscher, G. Practice of intramedullary nailing (Tans. H. H. Rinne). Springfield, II. Charles C. Thomas. 1976: pp. 85–96.Google Scholar
- 14.Melis, G. C., Sotgiu, F., Lepori, M., Guido, P. Intramedullary nailing in segmental tibial fractures. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Am.) 1981: 63-A, 1310–1318.Google Scholar
- 15.Merle, D’Aubigne, R., Maurer, P., Zucman, J., Masse, Y. Blind intramedullary nailing of tibial fractures. Clin. Orthop. 1974: (105), 267–275.Google Scholar
- 16.Nicoll, E. A. Fractures of the tibial shaft-A survey of 7905 cases. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.) 1964: 46-B, 373.Google Scholar
- 17.Olerud, S., Karlstrom, G. The spectrum of intramedullary nailing of the tibia. Clin. Orthop. 1986: (212, 101–112.Google Scholar
- 18.Puno, R. M., Teynor, J. T., Nagano, J., Gustillo, R. B. Critical analysis of results of treatment of 201 tibial shaft fractures. Clin. Orthop. 1986: (212), 113–121.Google Scholar
- 20.Sledge, S. L., Johnson, K. D., Henley, M. B., Watson, J. T. Intramedullary nailing with reaming to treat non-union of the tibia. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Am.) 1989: 71 -A, 1004–1019.Google Scholar
- 21.Werry, D. G., Boyle, M. R., Meek, R. N., Loomer, R. L. Intramedullary fixation of tibial shaft fractures with AO and Gross-Kempf locking nails: A review of 70 consecutive fractures. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.) 1985: 67-B, 325.Google Scholar
- 22.Wilson, J. N. In: Watson-Jones. Fractures and Joint Injuries - 6th Edition, Edinburgh, London, Melbourne, New York. Churchill Livingstone 1982.Google Scholar
- 23.Zucman, J., Maurer, P. Two level fractures of the tibia - Results in thirty-six cases treated by blind nailing. J. Bone Joint Surg. (Br.) 1969: 51-B, 686–693.Google Scholar