The effect of the cutting parameters on performance of WEDM
- 574 Downloads
In this study, variations of cutting performance with pulse time, open circuit voltage, wire speed and dielectric fluid pressure were experimentally investigated in Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (WEDM) process. Brass wire with 0.25 mm diameter and AISI 4140 steel with 10 mm thickness were used as tool and work materials in the experiments. The cutting performance outputs considered in this study were surface roughness and cutting speed. It is found experimentally that increasing pulse time, open circuit voltage, wire speed and dielectric fluid pressure increase the surface roughness and cutting speed. The variation of cutting speed and surface roughness with cutting parameters is modeled by using a regression analysis method. Then, for WEDM with multi-cutting performance outputs, an optimization work is performed using this mathematical models. In addition, the importance of the cutting parameters on the cutting performance outputs is determined by using the variance analysis (ANOVA).
Key WordsWire EDM Cutting Performance ANOVA Regression Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cogun, C., Akaslan, S., 2002, “The Effect of Machining Parameters on Tool Electrode Edge Wear and Machining Performance in Electric Discharge Machining (EDM),”KSME International Journal, Vol. 16 No. 1, pp. 46–59.Google Scholar
- Doyle, L. E., Keyser, C. A., Leach, J. L., Schrader, G. F. and Singer, M. B., 1985,Manufacturing Processes and Materials for Engineering, Third edition. Prentice-Hall Inc., USA.Google Scholar
- Fuller, J. E., 1989,Machining: Electrical Discharge Machining, Metals Handbook, ASM International, Ninth edition, Ohio. USA Vol. 16, pp. 557–564.Google Scholar
- Kim, C. H. and Kruth, J. P., 2001, “Influence of the Electrical Conductivity of Dielectric on WEDM of Sintered Carbide,”KSME International Journal, Vol. 15, No. 12, pp. 1676–1682.Google Scholar
- Phadke, M. S., 1989,Quality Engineering Using Robust Design, Prentice-Hall, USA.Google Scholar
- Ross, P. J., 1996,Taquchi Techniques for Quality Engineering, Second Edition, McGraw-Hill, USA.Google Scholar
- Tosun, N., Cogun, C. and Pihtili, H., 2002, “The Effect of Cutting Parameters on Wire Crater Sizes in Wire EDM,”The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, (in press).Google Scholar