A study on the modeling of transitional lateral force acting on the berthing ship by CFD
To evaluate the unsteady motion in laterally berthing maneuver, it is necessary to estimate clearly the magnitudes and properties of hydrodynamic forces acting on ship hull in shallow water. A numerical simulation has been performed to investigate quantitatively the hydrodynamic force according to water depth for Wigley model using the CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) technique. By comparing the computational results with the experimental ones, the validity of the CFD method was verified. The numerical solutions successfully captured some features of transient flow around the berthing ship. The transitional lateral force in a state ranging from the rest to the uniform motion is modeled by using the concept of circulation.
Key WordsBerthing Ships Hydrodynamic Force Transitional Lateral Force SGS Model CFD Shallow Water
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, H. C. and Korpus, R., 1993, “A Multiblock Finite-Analytic Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes Method for 3D Incompressible Flows,”Individual Papers in Fluid Engineering, edited b F. M. White, ASME FED-Vol. 150,ASME Fluids Engineering Conference, pp. 113–121.Google Scholar
- Chen, M. and Chen, H. C., 1996, “Numerical Simulation of Transitional Flows Induced by a Berthing Ship,”International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, ISOPE, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 277–284.Google Scholar
- Lee, Y. S., Sadakane, H. and Toda, Y., 2000, “Hydrodynamic Forces Acting on a Ship Hull Under Lateral Low Speed Motion,”Journal of the Japan Institute of Navigation, No. 102, pp. 87–95.Google Scholar
- Miyata, H., Zhu, M. and Watanabe, O., 1992, “Numerical Study on a Viscous Flow with Free-Surface Water about a Ship in Steady Course by a Finite-Volume Method,”Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 332–345.Google Scholar
- Sadakane, H., 1996, “A Study on Lateral Drag Coefficient for Ship Moving Laterally from Rest,”Journal of the Japan Institute of Navigation, No. 95, pp. 193–200.Google Scholar
- Tahara, Y., 1993, “Computation of Viscous Flow around Series 60 Model and Comparison with Experiments,”Journal of The Kansai Society of Naval Architects, No. 220, pp. 29–47.Google Scholar
- Takakura, Y., Ogiwara, S. and Isiguro, T., 1989, “Turbulence Models for Transonic Viscos Flow,”AIAA paper, 89–1952 CP.Google Scholar