Systemic effects of a neem insecticide onLiriomyza huidobrensis larvae
In an effort to expand the spectrum of larvicides effective against the pea leafminer,Liriomyza huidobrensis (Blanchard), we studied the effects of a neem-based insecticide (Neemix-45) on the development of the leafminer under laboratory conditions. Bean plants were treated with a soil drench of 1, 5, 10 or 25 ppm azadirachtin or by dipping leaves in 1 or 15 ppm azadirachtin at various times before or during the development of the leafminer. Treating the plants with the neem insecticide before exposure to egg-laying adults had a greater effect on inhibiting the development of pupae and adult eclosion than treatment at the 1st-instar larval stage. The systemic effects from a soil drench had a greater adverse effect on pupation and adult eclosion than leaf dipping. Drenching plants with 1 ppm azadirachtin 24 h before exposure to adults had a greater effect (0% adult eclosion) than leaf dipping at the same time period and concentration (15. 6% adult eclosion). Similar results were obtained when drenching plants infested with lst-instar larvae with 1 ppm azadirachtin (11. 7% eclosion)vs dipping leaves at the same time period and concentration (44. 7% eclosion).
Key wordsLiriomyza huidobrensis neem-based insecticide Neemix-45 systemic effects by soil drenching leaf dipping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Larew, H. G., Knodel-Montz, J. J., Webb, R. E. and Warthen, J. D. (1985)Liriomyza trifolii (Burgess) (Diptera: Agromyzidae) control on chrysanthemum by neem seed extract applied to soil.J. Econ. Entomol. 78:80–84.Google Scholar
- 5.Lowery, D. T. and Isman, M. B. (1995) Toxicity of neem to natural enemies of aphids.Phytoparasitica 23:297–306.Google Scholar
- 6.Meisner, J., Yathom, S., Tal, S. and Ascher, K. R. S. (1985) The effect of various extracts of neem seed kernel onLiriomyza trifolii (Burgess) (Diptera: Agromyzidae).J. Plant Dis. Prot. 93:146–152.Google Scholar
- 8.Naumann, K. and Isman, M. B. (1996) Toxicity of a neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss.) insecticide to larval honey bees.Am. Bee J. 36:518–520.Google Scholar
- 9.Parkman, P. and Pienkowski, R. L. (1990) Sublethal effects of neem seed extract on adults ofLiriomyza trifolii (Diptera: Agromyzidae).J. Econ. Entomol. 83:1246–1249.Google Scholar
- 10.Parrella, M. P. and Bethke, J. A. (1984) Biological studies ofLiriomyza huidobrensis (Diptera: Agromyzidae) on chrysanthemum, aster, and pea.J. Econ. Entomol. 77:342–345.Google Scholar
- 12.van der Staay, M. (1992) Chemical control of the larvae of the leafminerLiriomyza huidobrensis (Blanchard) in lettuce.Meded. Fac. Landbouwwet. Rijksuniv. Gent 57:473–478.Google Scholar
- 13.Webb, R. E., Hinebaugh, M. A., Lindquist, R. K. and Jacobson, M. (1983) Evaluation of aqueous solution of neem seed extract againstLiriomyza sativae andL. trifolii (Diptera: Agromyzidae).J. Econ. Entomol. 76:357–362.Google Scholar
- 14.Weintraub, P. G. and Horowitz, A. R. (1995) The newest leafminer pest in Israel,Liriomyza huidobrensis.Phytoparasitica 23:177–184.Google Scholar