Evaluation of insecticides against aphids (Myzus persicae Sulzer) and caterpillars (spodoptera litura [f.]) on tobacco in Karnataka State (India)
- 24 Downloads
0.02% a.i. dicrotophos and dimethoate, 0.025% a.i. demeton-S-methyl, thiometon, chlorfenvinphos and methomyl, and 0.03% a.i. phosphamidon were evaluated in the field for control of aphids (Myzus persicae Sulzer) infesting tobacco. All the insecticides were effective but chlorfenvinphos and methomyl were inferior to the rest.
0.03% and 0.06% a.i. endosulfan and trichlorfon, 0.05% and 0.1% a.i. carbaryl, and 0.025% and 0.05% a.i. methomyl were evaluated in the field for control of caterpillars ofSpodoptera litura (F.) defoliating tobacco. Nearly all the insecticides were effective and carbaryl and trichlorfon gave satisfactory control even at the lower concentrations tested.
Key wordsMyzus persicae Sulzer Spodoptera litura (F.) Karnataka State flue-cured Virginia tobacco
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anon. (1973) Pesticides on Tobacco. Central Tobacco Research Institute, Rajahmundry, India.Google Scholar
- 2.Anon. (1976) Package of Practices for High Yields. University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, India.Google Scholar
- 3.Basu, A.C. (1943) Effect of different foods on the larval and post-larval development of the mothProdenia litura Fb. (Lepidoptera, Noctuidae).J. Bombay nat. Hist. Soc. 44: 275–288.Google Scholar
- 4.Chari, M.S. and Patel, N.G. (1972) Efficacy of newer insecticides againstSpodoptera litura (Fabricius).Indian J. Ent. 34: 261–262.Google Scholar
- 5.Joshi, B.G. (1961) Laboratory studies on DDT, Rhothane and Endrex and their residual effect against tobacco caterpillarProdenia litura F.Indian Tob. 11: 245–250.Google Scholar
- 6.Joshi, B.G. and Philip, A. (1960) Laboratory studies on relative stomach toxicity of chlorinated hydrocarbon insecticides to tobacco cutworms.Indian Tob. 10: 165–168.Google Scholar
- 7.Joshi, B.G. and Satyanarayana Rao, R. (1971) Control of aphids (Myzus persicae) on FCV tobacco with systemic insecticides.Indian Tob. Bull. 3(1): 12.Google Scholar
- 8.Joshi, B.G. and Sitaramiah, S. (1972) Do not use aldrin or dieldrin in tobacco culture.Indian Tob. Bull. 4(2): 17–18.Google Scholar
- 9.Kurup, A. and Joshi, B.G. (1959) Investigations on the control of tobacco caterpillarProdenia litura F. in nursery and field.Indian J. Ent. 21: 10–15.Google Scholar
- 10.Patel, H.K., Patel, N.G. and Patel, V.C. (1971) Quantitative estimation of damage to tobacco caused by the leaf-eating caterpillarProdenia litura F.Pestic. Abstr. 17: 202–205.Google Scholar
- 11.Patel, H.K. and Patel, R.C. (1964) Control ofProdenia litura F. with Sevin and other insecticides.Indian Tob. 14: 124–128.Google Scholar
- 12.Patel, H.K. and Patel, V.C. (1969) Insecticidal control of tobacco leaf-eating caterpillarsSpodoptera (Prodenia) litura (F.).Pesticides 3(7): 41–43.Google Scholar
- 13.Philip, A. and Joshi, B.G. (1956) Some indications regarding control of aphids on flue-cured tobacco.Indian Tob. 6: 125–126.Google Scholar
- 14.Philip, A. and Joshi, B.G. (1958) Investigations on the control of tobacco caterpillars in nursery and field.Indian Tob. 8: 249Google Scholar
- 15.Ramaprasad, G. and Joshi, B.G. (1971) Studies on residues of phorate and disulfoton and their efficacy against green peach aphidMyzus persicae Sulz. on Lanka tobacco.Indian Tob. Bull. 5(2): 13–16.Google Scholar
- 16.Ramaprasad, G. and Joshi, B.G. (1973) Efficacy of soil application of some systemic insecticides for control of green peach aphidMyzus persicae Sulz. on Lanka tobacco.Pesticides 7(1): 22–24.Google Scholar
- 17.Rao, R.S.N. and Joshi, B.G. (1973) Chemical control ofProdenia litura F. in flue-cured Virginia tobacco nurseries of Andhra Pradesh.Pesticides 7(3): 20–21.Google Scholar