A phenylpropanoid glycoside with antioxidant activity from picria tel-ferae
- 87 Downloads
A phytochemical study on Picria tel-ferae resulted in the isolation of a phenylpropanoid glycoside (1), which was reported for the first time from this plant. The structure of compound 1 was identified as 1-O-3,4-(dihydroxyphenyl)-ethyl-β-D-apiofuranosyl-(1→4)-α-L-rharmnopyranosyl-(1→3)-4-O-caffeoyl-β-D-glucopyranoside on the basis of spectroscopic analyses. In addition, it was found that 1 exhibited a remarkable inhibitory effect on lipid peroxidation initiated by either a free radical [AAPH; 2,2′-azobis-(2-amidinopropane)dihydrochloride] or generated hydroxyl radical (Fe2+/ascorbate). These findings, together with those of previous studies, suggest that P. tel-ferae possesses abundant phenylpropanoid glycosides, and the plant might be used beneficially in the treatment of oxidative stress-related human diseases.
Key wordsPicria tel-ferae Scrophulariaceae Phenylpropanoid glycoside Antioxidant Lipid peroxidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Halliwell, B. and Gutteridge J. M. C., Free radicals in biology and medicine. Oxford University press, 3rd edition (2000).Google Scholar
- Thuong, P. T., Na, M. K., Dang, N. H., Hung, T. M., Ky, P. T., Thanh, T. V., Nam, N. H., Thuan, N. D., Sok, D. E., and Bae, K. H., Antioxidant activities of Vietnamese medicinal plants.Nat. Prod. Sci., 12, 29–37 (2006).Google Scholar
- Zou, J. M., Wang, L. S., Guo, Y. J., Wang, Z., and Wang, R. Z., A new picfeltarraenone glycoside fromPicria fel-terrae.Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica (Yao xue xue bad), 40, 36–38, (2005a).Google Scholar
- Zou, J. M., Wang, L. S., Ma, X. M., Shi, R. B., and Guo, Y. J., Isolation and identification of a new cucurbitacin fromPicria fel-terrae.Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica (Yao xue xue bao), 39, 910–912(2004).Google Scholar
- Zou, J. M., Wu, M. J., and Wang, L. S., HPLC fingerprint ofPicria fel-terrae.Zhongguo Yaoxue Zazhi (Beijing, China), 40, 664–666 (2005c).Google Scholar