The ovicidal properties of the juvenile hormone mimic sumitomo S-31183 (SK-591) to insects
S-31183 was assayed against preimaginal stages of the tobacco whitefly,Bemisia tabaci (Genn.), and eggs of the Egyptian cotton leafworm,Spodoptera littoralis (Boisd.). The compound was found to be an ovicide forB. tabaci eggs in both preinfestation and postinfestation treatments. FreshS. littoralis eggs were very susceptible to the compound at 0.05 ppm a.i., response was much poorer with 1-2-day-old eggs and 2-3-day-old eggs were not affected even by 100 ppm.
Key WordsS-31183 (SK-591) juvenile hormone mimic ovicide Bemisia tabaci Spodoptera littoralis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abbott, W.S. (1925) A method of computing the effectiveness of an insecticide.J. econ. Ent. 18:265–267.Google Scholar
- 2.Ascher, K.R.S., Eliyahu, M., Nemny, N.E. and Ishaaya, I. (1986) The toxicity of synthetic pyrethroids and other insecticides and pesticides toSpodoptera littoralis (Boisd.),Drosophila melanogaster Meig. andBemisia tabaci (Genn.).Int. Pest Control 28:68–71, 74–78.Google Scholar
- 3.Ascher, K.R.S., Hirsch, I. and Rones, G. (1964) Screening insecticides againstProdenia litura.Int. Pest Control 6(5):6–9.Google Scholar
- 4.Ascher, K.R.S. and Moscowitz, J. (1970) The ovicidal effect of chlorphenamidine (Fundal) and chlorphenamidine-formetanate (Fundal forte) in the Egyptian cotton leafworm,Spodoptera littoralis Boisd.Z. angew. Ent. 67:34–38.Google Scholar
- 5.Ascher, K.R.S., Nemny, N.E., Eliyahu, M. and Ishaaya, I. (1979) The effect of BAY SIR 8514 onSpodoptera littoralis (Boisduval) eggs and larvae.Phytoparasitica 7:177–184.Google Scholar
- 6.Matolin, S. (1970) Effects of a juvenile hormone analogue on embryogenesis inPyrrhocoris apterus.Acta ent. bohemoslov. 67:9–12.Google Scholar
- 7.Melamed-Madjar, V., Chen, M. and Rosilio, D. (1984) Screening insecticides against the tobacco whitefly(Bemisia tabaci) on cotton, using a leaf cage laboratory method.Phytoparasitica 12:119–125.Google Scholar
- 8.Nassar, S.G., Staal, G.B. and Armanious, N.I. (1973) Effects and control potential of insect growth regulators with juvenile hormone activity on the greenbug.J. econ. Ent. 66:847–850.Google Scholar
- 10.Riddiford, L.M. (1971) Juvenile hormones and insect embryogenesis.Mitt. Schweiz. ent. Ges 44:177–186.Google Scholar
- 11.Riddiford, L.M. (1972) Juvenile hormone and insect embryonic development: Its potential role as an ovicide.in: Menn, J.J. and Beroza, M. [Eds.] Insect Juvenile Hormones. Academic Press, New York, NY. pp. 95–111.Google Scholar
- 13.Sehnal, F. (1976) Action of juvenoids on different groups of insects.in: Gilbert, L.I. [Ed.] The Juvenile Hormones. Plenum Press, New York, NY. pp. 301–322.Google Scholar
- 16.Walker, W.F. and Bowers, W.S. (1970) Synthetic juvenile hormones as potential coleopteran ovicides.J. econ. Ent. 63:1231–1233.Google Scholar