Effect of sex hormones on lipid peroxidation in rat liver
The role of sex hormones in hepatic lipid peroxidation, and in hepatic aldehyde oxidase and xanthine oxidase activities were investigated using rat liver homogenates. It was observed that male rat had a significantly greater content of malondialdehyde in liver than female. Among the sex hormones tested, estradiol, one of female hormones, markeldy inhibited the formation of lipid peroxides in liver tissuesin vitro. Especially, the inhibitory effect of estradiol appeared more remarkably in Fe2-induced lipid peroxidation. The hepatic xanthine oxidase activity was decreased about 15% by 106M estradiol, whereas, the aldehyde oxidase activity was almost completely disappeared at the same concentration of estradiol. It implies that sex differences in lipid peroxidation is attributed to the suppression of free radical generating system by estradiol.
Key wordsSex hormones Lipid peroxidation Xanthine oxidase Aldehyde oxidase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Branzoli, U., and Massey, V., Preparation of aldehydeoxidase in its native and deflavo forms.J. Biol. Chem., 249, 4339–4345 (1974).Google Scholar
- Hashimi, R. S., Kachole, M. S., and Pawar, S. S., Alteration in hepatic microsomal mixed-function oxidase system during different levels of food restriction in adult male and female rats.J. Nutr., 116, 682–688 (1986).Google Scholar
- Holman, W. I. M., and Wiegand, C., The chemical conversion of nicotinic acid and nicotinamide to derivatives of N-Methyl-2-Pyridone by methylation and oxidation.Biochem. J., 43, 423–426 (1948).Google Scholar
- Mackelvey, T. C., Hollwarth, M. E., Granger, D. N., Urikelander, T. D. and Jones, H., Mechanisms of conversion of xanthine dehydrogenase to xanthine oxidase in ischemic rat liver and kidney.Am. J. Physiol., 254, G753–760 (1988).Google Scholar
- Mezey, E., Sharma, S. Rennie, L., and Potter, J. J., Sex differences in gastric alcohol dehydrogenase activity in Sprague-Dawley rats.Gastroenterol., 103, 1804–1810 (1992).Google Scholar
- Mizuta, Y., Mitzuta, K. and Kohno, M., Quantitative analysis of active oxygen generated in Fe-peroxide reaction system using ESR spin trapping mrthod.Med. Biochem. Chem. Asp. Free Radicals, 817–820 (1989).Google Scholar
- Stripe, F., and Corte, E. D., The regulation of rat liver xanthine oxidase.J. Biol. Chem., 244, 3855–3863 (1969).Google Scholar