DRMR: Dynamic-ring-based multicast routing protocol for Ad hoc networks
Recently a number of multicast routing protocols for ad hoc networks have been proposed, however, most of them do not provide proper tradeoffs between effectiveness, efficiency and scalability. In this paper, a novel multicast routing protocol is presented for ad hoc networks. The protocol, termed as dynamic-ring-based multicast routing protocol (DRMR), uses the concept of dynamic ring whose radius can be adjusted dynamically and DRMR configures this type of ring for all group member nodes. According to the principle of zone routing, two nodes whose rings overlap can create route to each other, thus, when the ring graph composed of all rings is connected, each member node has one or more routes to others. DRMR uses the method of expanding ring search (ERS) to maintain the connected ring graph, and also can decrease the radius of the ring to reduce the overhead. The performances of DRMR were simulated and evaluated with NS2, and results show that DRMR has a high data packet delivery ratio, low control overhead and good scalability.
Keywordsad hoc wireless network multicast routing protocol dynamic ring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Elizabeth M Royer, Charles E Perkins. Multicast operation of the ad-hoc on-demand distance vector routing protocol. InProceedings of ACM MOBICOM'1999, Seattle, Washington, USA, Aug. 1999, pp.207–218.Google Scholar
- Wu C W, Tay Y C. AMRIS: A multicast protocol for ad hoc wireless networks. InProceedings of IEEE MILCOM'99, Atlantic City, NJ, USA, Nov. 1999, pp.25–29.Google Scholar
- Vijay Devarapalli, Deepinder Sidhu. MZR: A multicast protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. InProceedings of IEEE ICC'2001, Helsinki, Finland, June 2001, pp.886–891.Google Scholar
- Jorjeta G Jetcheva, David B Johnson. Adaptive demand-driven multicast routing in multi hop wireless ad hoc networks. InProceedings of Mobihoc 2001, Long Beach, CA, USA, Oct. 2001, pp.33–44.Google Scholar
- Lee S, Su W, Hsu J, Gerla M, Bagrodia R. A performance comparison study of ad hoc wireless multicast protocols. InProceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2000, Tel Aviv, Israel, March 2000, pp.565–574.Google Scholar
- Chiang C C, Gerla M. On demand multicast in mobile wireless networks. InProceedings of IEEE ICNP'98, Austin, TX, USA, October 1998, pp.262–270.Google Scholar
- Lee S, Kim C. Neighbor supporting ad hoc multicast routing protocol. InProceedings of ACM Mobihoc 2000, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, August 2000, pp.37–50.Google Scholar
- Das S K, Manoj B S, Murthy C S R. A dynamic core based multicast routing protocol for ad hoc wireless networks. InProceedings of ACM Mobihoc 2002. Lausanne, Switzerland, June 2002, pp.24–35.Google Scholar
- Haas Z J, Pearlman M R, Samar P. Zone routing protocol (ZRP). Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manetzrp-04.txt, January 2001. Work in progress. http://www.ietf.org/interned-drafts/Google Scholar
- Kevin Fall, Kannan Varadhan. NS notes and documentation. The VINT Projet, UC Berkeley, LBL, USC/ISI and Xerox PARC, Nov. 1997, Available at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/.Google Scholar
- Broch J, Maltz D, Johnson D, Hu Y C, Jetcheva J. A performance comparison of multihop wireless ad hoc network routing protocols. InProceedings of ACM/IEEE MobiCom 1998, October 1998, Dallas, TX, USA, pp.85–97.Google Scholar