Acinic cell adenocarcinoma arising in the breast of a young male: A clinicopathological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study
A 23-year-old man with acinic cell adenocarcinoma of the breast is reported. He presented with a 4.8 × 4.2 cm mass in his left breast, and excisional biopsy was performed. Under the light microscope, tumor cells had abundant periodic acid-Schiff-positive secretory granules and eosinophilic cytoplasms. Electron microscopy revealed the granules to have various electron densities, a finding characteristic of acinic cell adenocarcinoma. Immunohistochemically, the tumor cells were stained with salivary-type amylase. Electron microscopic and immunohistochemical investigation greatly facilitated the diagnosis of this acinic cell adenocarcinoma, which was in an unusual location. We believe this is the first case report of acinic cell adenocarcinoma of the mammary gland studied utilizing light microscopic, ultrastructural and immunohistochemical techniques.
Key wordsAcinic cell adenocarcinoma Breast Immunohistochemistry Ultrastructure Salivary-type amylase
Gross cystic disease fluid protein 15
Epithelial membrane antigen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 13).Inoue A, Kataoka R, Hyo Y,et al: Electron microscopic studies of three cases of acinic cell tumor in salivary glands.J Clin Electron Microscopy 25:277–288, 1992.Google Scholar
- 14).Inoue T, Uchida H, Yanagisawa Y,et al: A case of acinic cell carcinoma of the glossopalatine gland; Light and electron microscopic investigations.Jpn J Oral Maxillofac Surg 24:1228–1234, 1978 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 15).Ezaki T, Katoh Y, Yoshida M,et al: Acinic cell adenocar-cinoma of the minor salivary gland; A light microscopic and ultrastructural study of a case.Jpn J Cancer Clin 20:553–560, 1974 (in Japanese with English summary).Google Scholar
- 16).Otake S, Kakudo K, Mushimoto K,et al: A case of acinic cell tumor in the buccal mucosa: light and electron microscopic observations.Jpn J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:1510–1520, 1988 (in Japanese with English summary).Google Scholar
- 17).Tani Y, Koike A, Komori A,et al: Acinic cell tumor of the buccal mucosa; Report of a case.Jpn J Oral Maxillofac Surg 31:296–300, 1985 (in Japanese with English summary).Google Scholar
- 18).Kato H, Matsukawa K, Tokiwa N,et al: Acinic cell carcinoma of the left retromolar pad; A case report.Niigata Dent J 3:9–14, 1973.Google Scholar
- 21).Ellis GL, Auclair PL: Malignant epithelial tumor. In: Ellis GL, Auclair PL eds, Tumor of the Salivary Gland; Atlas of Tumor Pathology, AFIP third series, Washington DC, PP155-373, 1995.Google Scholar