Primary non-hodgkin’s lymphoma of the breast: a report of two cases
- 31 Downloads
Background: Primary non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the breast (PBNHL) is a rare neoplasm and PBNHL occuring in a man is extremely rare.
Method: We report herein two cases of PBNHL and discuss methods of diagnosis and treatment.
Results: The first patient was a 35-year-old woman who presented with an elastic-hard mass in her left breast and adenopathy in her left axillary fossa. Mammography and ultrasonography suggested left breast cancer. Frozen sections demonstrated PBNHL histologically. Quadrantectomy of the breast was performed followed by chemotherapy. The second patient was a 65-year-old man with an elastic-hard mass in his left breast and left axillary lymphadenopathy. Mammography and ultrasonography suggested breast cancer or a soft tissue tumor. Intraoperative histological examination revealed a diagnosis of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL). A simple mastectomy and postoperative chemotherapy were performed and the patient had a good prognosis.
Conclusion: A multidisciplinary approach including surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy is indispensable in treating PBNHL, after diagnosis by excisional biopsy or aspiration cytology.
Key wordsNon-Hodgkin’s lymphoma Breast neoplasm
Primary non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the breast
Carcinogenic antigen 15-3
Single positron emisson computed tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2).Kawasaki H, Okajima K, Morita S,et at A case of primary malignant lymphoma of the breast which origin is suspected subcutaneous tissue of the breast.Nippon Rinshou Geka Gakkai Zasshi (J Jpn Soc Clin Surg) 55(10):2526–2531, 1994 (in Japanese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- 3).Gabriele A, Umberto B, Andrea R,et at Primary non- Hodgkin’s T-cell lymphoma of the breast.Eur J Surg 163:633–635, 1997.Google Scholar
- 4).Ohta S, Ushizima Y, Asato Y,et at A case of primary malignant lymphoma of the breast in a leprosy patient.Nippon Rinshou Geka Gakkai Zasshi (J Jpn Soc Clin Surg) 54(10):2546–2549, 1993 (in Japanese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- 5).Jing JM, Kim EE, Moulopoulos L,et at Primary breast lymphoma detected with SPECT using Gallium-67-citrate.J Nuc Med 36:236–237, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6).Frank AP, David B, Hanneke HVMH,et at Non- Hodgkin’s lymphoma of the breast causing miliary densities on mammography.AJR 164(3):609–610, 1995.Google Scholar