A comparative study of a number of nutritional and immunological indices in patients with skin carcinoma
EIGHTY-FOUR patients with skin carcinomas and 45 patients attending a geriatric day centre once weekly were assessed for a number of nutritional and immunological parameters.
The patients with skin carcinoma had significantly lower levels of plasma vitamin A, and serum albumin when compared to the control group of patients attending the day centre. In addition, haemoglobin levels were also significantly lower in the carcinoma group when the two groups were age matched.
The lymphatic response to PHA and Con. A was significantly lower in the controls than in the cases for three of the four techniques used and thus did not suggest any diminished lymphocyte response in the cases.
Overall the results of the nutritional indices studied are particularly interesting and do warrant further studies.
KeywordsActinic Keratosis Etretinate Dehydroascorbic Acid Ultra Violet Radiation Skin Carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burnstein, M., Scholnick, H. R. and Martin, R. 1970. Rapid method for the isolation of lipoproteins from human serum by precipitation with polyanions. J. Lipid Research 11, 583–595.Google Scholar
- Densen, K. W. and Bowers, E. G. 1961. The determination of ascorbic acid in white blood cells. Clin. Sci. Mol. Med. 21, 157.Google Scholar
- Koranda, F. C., Loeffler, R. T. and Koranda, D. M.et al. 1975. Accelerated induction of skin cancers by ultra violet radiation in hairless mice treated with immunosuppressive agents. Sug. Forum 26, 145–146.Google Scholar
- Kripke, M. and Fisher, M. S. 1975. International Conference on Ultraviolet Carcinogenesis. U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. 179–183.Google Scholar
- Editorial. 182. Ultra Violet Radiation, T. Lymphocytes and Skin Cancer. Lancet ii, 530.Google Scholar
- Loton, R. 1980. Effects of vitamin A and its anologues (retinoids) on normal neoplastic cells. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 605, 33–41.Google Scholar
- Natl. Acad. Sci. Climate Impact Committee 1975. Environmental Impacts of Stratospheric Flight. Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Report of Registry Committee for 1978. Southern Tumour Registry.Google Scholar
- Urbach, F. 1969. Geographic Pathology of Skin Cancer. In: The Biologic Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation. Oxford, Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Varley, H. 1969. Practical Clinical Biochemistry. William Heinemann.Google Scholar