Hanzix and Chinese open system platform
- 19 Downloads
International use of the UNIX system in recent years provokes a need to expand its functionality. Extensions are needed to process data in various languages as the market requirement dictate[1,2]. With the advent of open systems and interfaces, the method of internationalization (I18N) has become standardized. Hanzix Association was founded by the Institute of Software, The Chinese Academy of Sciences (ISAS, Beijing), Institute of Information Industry (III, Taipei) and Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK, Hong Kong), and its aim is to promote an open system standard for Chinese character (Hanzi) processing. This paper presents Hanzix, an open system environment to support Hanzi processing, including enhancement recommended for Hanzi API, input method mechanism, codeset conversion and announcement, and reviews the current work.
KeywordsHanzi Chinese platform open system codeset input method locale internationalization localization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sun Yufang. UNIX localization in China. InProc. 1991 Int'l Conf. on Computer Processing of Chinese and Oriental Languages, Taipei, Taiwan, Aug. 1991.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC 9945-1. Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) Part 1: System Application Program Interface, IEEE Std. 1003.1, 1990.Google Scholar
- X/Open Company, Ltd. X/Open Internationalization Guide, 1990.Google Scholar
- Hanzix Work Group. Open systems environment for Hanzix input methods. InComputer Processing of Asian Languages, IIT, Kanpur, India, March 1992.Google Scholar
- Hanzix Work Group. Portability guide for handling Chinese language in computers. Technical Report, Department of Computer Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1992.Google Scholar