Multi-cue-based face and facial feature detection on video segments
- 46 Downloads
An approach is presented to detect faces and facial features on a video segment based on multi-cues, including gray-level distribution, color, motion, templates, algebraic features and so on. Faces are first detected across the frames by using color segmentation, template matching and artificial neural network. A PCA-based (Principal Component Analysis) feature detector for still images is then used to detect facial features on each single frame until the resulting features of three adjacent frames, named as base frames, are consistent with each other. The features of frames neighboring the base frames are first detected by the still-image feature detector, then verified and corrected according to the smoothness constraint and the planar surface motion constraint. Experiments have been performed on video segments captured under different environments, and the presented method is proved to be robust and accurate over variable poses, ages and illumination conditions.
Keywordsmulti-cue facial feature detection face detection video segment motion constraint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mark Pickeringet al. A proposal for an automatic face extraction algorithm. ISO/MPEG M5399, Maui, 1999.Google Scholar
- Reisfeld D, Yeshuran Y. Robust detection of facial features by generalized symmetry. InProc. 11th Int. Conf. Patt. Recog., 1992, pp.117–120.Google Scholar
- Yuille A L, Cohen D S, Halinan P W. Feature extraction from faces using deformable templates. InProc. IEEE Computer Soc. Conf. on Computer Vision and Patt. Recog., 1989, pp.104–109.Google Scholar
- Ai Haizhou, Liang Luhong, Xu Guangyou. A general framework for face detection. InProc. 3rd Int. Conf. Multimodal Interfaces, 2000, 1948: 119–126.Google Scholar
- Peng Zhenyun, Xu Guangyou, Zhang Hongjiang. Detecting facial features on images with multiple faces. InProc. 3rd Int. Conf. Multimodal Interfaces, 2000, 1948: 191–195.Google Scholar
- Peng Zhenyun, You Suya, Xu Guangyou. Locating facial features using threshold images. InProc. the Third Int. Conf. Signal Processing, 1996, 2: 1162–1166.Google Scholar