The modelling of temporal data in the relational database environment
- 22 Downloads
This research takes the view that the modelling of temporal data is a fundamental step towards the solution of capturing semantics of time. The problems inherent in the modelling of time are not unique to database processing. The representation of temporal knowledge and temporal reasoning arises in a wide range of other disciplines. In this paper an account is given of a technique for modelling the semantics of temporal data and its associated normalization method. It discusses the techniques of processing temporal data by employing a Time Sequence (TS) data model. It shows a number of different strategies which are used to classify different data properties of temporal data, and it goes on to develop the model of temporal data and addresses issues of temporal data application design by introducing the concept of temporal data normalisation.
KeywordsTemporal data relational database time sequence model temporal normalization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kim J, Yoo H, Lee Y. Implementation of a temporal query language with abstract time. InProceeding of the International Computer Sumposium, 1988, pp. 64–70.Google Scholar
- Date C J. Correspondence.ACM SIGMOD Record, 1990, 19(1): 41–42.Google Scholar
- Segev A, Shoshani A. Logical modelling of temporal data. InProceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Annual Conference on Management of Data, San Francisco, CA, May 1987, pp. 454–466.Google Scholar
- Shoshani A, Kawagoe K. Temporal data management. InVLDB, Kyoto, Japan, August 1986, pp. 79–88.Google Scholar
- Sun Y, Stockman A G, Deen S M. Processing temporal data in relational database. InPRoceedings of the 3rd Int'l Conf. on Data and Knowledge Systems for Manufacturing and Engineering, Lyon, France, March 17–20, 1992, pp. 237–246.Google Scholar
- Sun Y, Stockman A G. A user-defined integrated temporal environment in relational database. InProceedings of the 3rd Int'l Conf. for Young Computer Scientitists, Beijing, China, July 1993, pp. 5.31–5.34.Google Scholar
- Sun Y. Extending RDBMS to support temporal data. InProceedings of the 1994 IEEE International Workshop on Information Technology, Toulouse, France, February 10–12, 1994, pp. 351–370.Google Scholar