A study on residual fatigue bending strength and damage behavior of CFRP composites subjected to impact loadings
- 210 Downloads
This paper evaluates the static and fatigue bending strengths of CFRP (carbon-fiber reinforced plastic) laminates having impact damages, e.g., foreign object damages (FOD). Composite laminates used in this experiment are CF/EPOXY and CF/PEEK orthotropy laminated plates with two-interfaces [0°4/90°4]s A steel ball launched by an air gun collides against the CFRP laminates to generate impact damages. The damage growth during a bending fatigue test is observed by a scanning acoustic microscope (SAM). When the impacted side is compressed, the residual fatigue bending strength of CF/PEEK specimen P is greater than that of CF/EPOXY specimen B. On the other hand, when the impacted side is in tension, the residual fatigue bending strength of CF/PEEK specimen P is smaller than that of CF/EPOXY specimen B. In the case of impacted-side compression, the fracture is propagated from the transverse crack generated near the impact point. In the case of impacted-side tension, however, the fracture develops toward the impact point from the edge of interface-B delamination.
Key WordsForeign Object Damages Impact Damage CFRP Delamination Area Impact Energy Residual Bending Fatigue Strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bakis, C. E. and Stinchcomb, W. W., (Hahn H. H), 1989, “Response of Thick, Notched Laminates Subjected to Tension Compression Cycle Loads”,Composite Materials: Fatigue and Fracture, ASTM STP, 907, pp. 314–438.Google Scholar
- Challenger, K. D. 1986, “The Damage Tolerance of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composites”, A workshop summary,Composite Struct., pp. 295–318.Google Scholar
- Ma, C. C. M. Huang, Y. H., and Chang, M. J., 1991, “Hygrothermal Effect on the PEEK/C. F. and PPS/C. F. Under Impact. Loading (I).”ANTEC, pp. 2029–2096.Google Scholar
- Malvern, L. E., Sun, C. T. and Liu, D., 1989, “Delamination Damage in Central Impacts at Subperformation Speeds on Laminated Kevlar/ Epoxy Plates,”ASTM, STP, 1012, pp. 387–405.Google Scholar
- Smith, B. W. and Grove, R. A., 1987, “Determination of Crack Propagation Directions in Graphite/Epoxy Structures,”Composites and Metals, ASTM, STP. 948, pp. 154–173.Google Scholar
- Tanaka, T., Kurokawa T., etc., 1989, “Damage and Residual Bending Strength of Graphite/Epoxy Composite Laminates Subjected to Normal Impact,”Journal of the Japan Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Vol. 37, No. 25, pp. 29–36.Google Scholar
- Yang, I. Y., Sim, J. K. and Im K. H., 1996, “Impact Damages and Residual Bending Strength of CFRP Composite Laminates Subjected to Impact Loading,”KSME International Journal. Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 423–434Google Scholar