HSM2: A new heuristic state minimization algorithm for finite state machine
- 37 Downloads
This paper proposes a heuristic state minimization algorithm (HSM2) for finite state machines (FSM). HSM2 focuses on the generation and adjustment of the closed cover. First an initial closed cover is generated by heuristically selecting proper maximal compatibles to satisfy all the covering and closure conditions, and then it is adjusted to be a minimal or near minimal closed cover by heuristically removing repeated states. Experimental results show that the algorithm is faster and obtains better or the same solutions compared with conventional methods.
Keywordshigh-level synthesis controller synthesis state minimization minimal closed cover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Liu Mingye. Computer Aided Logic Design Theory. Science Press, 1985. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Higuchi H, Matsunaga Y. A fast state reduction algorithm for incompletely specified finite state machine. InProc. the 33rd Design Automation Conf., June 1996, Las Vegas, NV, USA, pp.463–466.Google Scholar
- Sanchez J M, Garnica A O, Lanchares J. A genetic algorithm for reducing the number of states in incompletely specified finite state machine.Micro Electronic Journal, 1995, 26(5): 463–470.Google Scholar
- Kannan L N, Sarma D. Fast heuristic algorithm for finite state minimization.European Design Automation Conf., 1991, pp.192–196.Google Scholar
- Avedillo M J, Quintana J M, Huerias J L. New approach to the state reduction in incompletely specified sequential machine. InProc. IRE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1990, pp.440–443.Google Scholar
- Gang Wang. The automatic synthesis of controller based on FSM theory [Thesis]. Tsinghua University, 1996.Google Scholar
- Gupta B N V M. Narayanan H, Desai M P. A state assignment scheme targeting performance and area. InProc. 12th International Conference on VLSI Design, Jan. 1999, pp.378–383.Google Scholar