Image magnification method using joint diffusion
- 29 Downloads
In this paper a new algorithm for image magnification is presented. Because linear magnification/interpolation techniques diminish the contrast and produce sawtooth effects, in recent years, many nonlinear interpolation methods, especially nonlinear diffusion based approaches, have been proposed to solve these problems. Two recently proposed techniques for interpolation by diffusion, forward and backward diffusion (FAB) and level-set reconstruction (LSR), cannot enhance the contrast and smooth edges simultaneously. In this article, a novel Partial Differential Equations (PDE) based approach is presented. The contributions of the paper include: firstly, a unified form of diffusion joining FAB and LSR is constructed to have all of their virtues; secondly, to eliminate artifacts of the joint diffusion, soft constraint takes the place of hard constraint presented by LSR; thirdly, the determination of joint coefficients, criterion for stopping time and color image processing are also discussed. The results demonstrate that the method is visually and quantitatively better than Bicubic, FAB and LSR.
Keywordsimage magnification nonlinear diffusion joint diffusion forward-and-backward diffusion level-set reconstruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Max N. An Optimal Filter for Image Reconstruction. Graphics Gems II, Arvo J (ed.), Academic Press, 1991, pp. 101–104.Google Scholar
- Chang S G, Cvetkovic Z, Vetterli M. Resolution enhancement of images using wavelet transform extrema extrapolation. InICASSP'95, 1995, pp. 2379–2382.Google Scholar
- Sapiro G. Geometric Partial Differential Equations and Image Analysis. Cambridge University Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- Bertalmio M, Sapiro G, Ballester C, Caselles V. Image inpainting. InACM SIGGRAPH, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 2000.Google Scholar
- Morse B S, Schwartzwald D. Image magnification using level-set reconstruction. InCVPR'01, (I), 2001, pp. 333–340.Google Scholar
- Witkin A P. Scale space filtering. InInternational Joint Conf. Artificial Intelligence, 1983, pp. 1019–1023.Google Scholar
- Weickert J. Coherence-enhancing shock filters. InDAGM 2003,LNCS 2781, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar