Anti-aliased rendering of water surface
- 27 Downloads
Water surface is one of the most important components of landscape scenes. When rendering spacious water surface such as that of the lakes and reservoirs, aliasing and/or moiré artifacts frequently occur in the regious far from the viewpoint. This is because water surface consists of stochastic water waves which are usually modeled by periodic bump mapping. The incident rays on the water surface are actually scattered by the bumped waves, and the reflected rays at each sample point are distributed in a solid angle. To get rid of the artifacts of moiré pattern, we estimate this solid angle of reflected rays and trace these rays. An image-based accelerating method is adopted so that the contribution of each reflected ray can be quickly obtained without elaborate intersection calculation. We also demonstrate anti-aliased shadows of sunlight and skylight on the water surface. Both the rendered images and animations show excellent effects on the water surface of a reservoir.
Keywordsanti-aliasing water waves spectral function rendering computer graphics (CG)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/Hyper-Graph/aliasing/alias0.htmGoogle Scholar
- Fabris A E, Forrest A R. Antialiasing of curves by discrete pre-filtering. InSIGGRAPH'97, Los Angeles, CA, USA, 1997, 24(3): 317–326.Google Scholar
- Turkowski K. Anti-aliasing through the use of coordinate transformations. InSIGGRAPH'82, Boston, MA, USA, 1982, 16(3): 19–26.Google Scholar
- Norton A, Rockwood A P, Skolmoski P T. Clamping: A method of antialiasing: textured surfaces by bandwidth limiting in object space. InSIGGRAPH'82, Boston, MA, USA, 1982, 16(3): 1–8.Google Scholar
- Kaneda K, Yuan G, Tomoda Y, Baba M, Nakamae E, Nishita T. Realistic visual simulation of water surfaces taking into account radiative transfer. InProc. CAD/Graphics'91, 1991, pp.25–30.Google Scholar
- Wallace J R, Cohen M F. A two-path solution to the rendering equation: A synthesis of ray tracing and radiosity methods. InSIGGRAPH'87, 1987, 21(4): 311–320.Google Scholar