Effect of methyl jasmonate on sugarcane seedlings
- 78 Downloads
Sugarcane seedlings derived from single bud setts of CoLk 8102 were exposed to methyl jasmonate (1,2.5 and 5 ppm). Enzyme activities of catalase, peroxidase, Superoxide dismutase, nitrate reductase, isoenzyme analysis of Superoxide dismutase, proline and soluble protein content were determined after one month. The activities of catalase, Superoxide dismutase, nitrate reductase were lower at 1 ppm compared to control but at 5 ppm these were comparable to the control. The activity of peroxidase was higher than control under all MeJA treatments. The treatment with 2.5 and 5 ppm MeJA increased the number of isoenzymes of Superoxide dismutase in a dose dependent manner while 1 ppm MeJA treated ones had lesser number of isoenzymes as compared to control. Proline content was lower at 1 ppm but increased at 5 ppm. The reduction in enzymes activities at 1 ppm MeJA and increase at 5 ppm MeJA suggest methyl jasmonate regulated expression of these enzymes in sugarcane. These results suggest existence of the methyl jasmonate signalling pathway in sugarcane.
KeywordsEnzyme activities Methyl jasmonate Signalling Sugarcane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bower, N.I., Casu, R.E., Maclean, D.J and Manners, J.M. (2001). Identification of markers of the defence response in sugarcane.Proc. Int. Soc. Sugar Cane Technol.,24: 624–625.Google Scholar
- Chen, C.T., Chen, C.M and Kao, C.H. (1994). Methyl jasmonate induces the accumulation of putrescine but not proline in detached rice leaves.J. Plant Physiol.,143: 119–121.Google Scholar
- Euler H.Von andJosephson, K. (1927). Uber Katalase I Leibig Ann,452: 158–181.Google Scholar
- Koetze, D.S andRidgeley, J.R. (1998). Characteristics of a novel cysteine protease expressed in soybean seedlings exposed to methyl jasmonate.URL: http://abstracts.aspb.org/aspb.1998/44/0209.shtml.Google Scholar
- Luck, H. (1963). Peroxidase In: Methods in Enzymatic Analysis (Hu Borgweyer ed) Academic Press, New York 895–897.Google Scholar
- Mader, J.C (1999). Effects of Jasmonic Acid, Silver Nitrate and L-AOPP on the distribution of free and conjugated polyamines in roots and shoots ofSolanum tuberosum in vitro.J. Plant Physiol.,154(1): 79–85.Google Scholar
- Manchenko, G.P. (1994). Hand book of detection of enzymes on electrophoresis gels. CRC Press Inc. Boca Raton, U.S.A.Google Scholar