High resolution computed tomography in Cystic Fibrosis: Correlation with pulmonary function and assessment of prognostic value
- 40 Downloads
Objective: To assess the correlation between HRCT and pulmonary function in patients with CF. Further, to assess the prognostic value of HRCT in these patients.
Subjects and Methods: Clinical examination, chest radiographs and HRCT scans on 30 CF patients with an average age of 17 were scored using established scoring systems. The results were correlated with FEV1 and FVC both at the time of CT scanning and after 30 months. Results were also correlated with the clinical progress of the patients over the follow-up period.
Results: HRCT, chest radiograph and clinical examination demonstrated similar correlation (p<0.001) with FEV1 and FVC at the time of scanning. HRCT demonstrated the closest correlation with the clinical progress of the patients over the follow-up period and with follow-up pulmonary function. A maximum combined score for bronchiectasis and emphysema on HRCT seemed to indicate a poor prognosis.
Conclusion: HRCT in CF patients correlates well with pulmonary function at time of scanning and at follow-up, and with clinical progress. There may be a role for CT in the identification of adolescent/adult patients who can be expected to need aggressive therapy in the future.
KeywordsCystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Function Chest Radiograph Force Vital Capacity Cystic Fibrosis Patient
- 2.Dodge, J. A., Goodall, J., Geddes, D. et al. British Pediatric Association Working Party on C.F. “C.F. in the U.K. 1977–85: an improving picture.” Br. Med. J. 1988; 297: 1599–1602.Google Scholar
- 4.Shwachman, H., Kulczycki, L. Long term study of one hundred five patients with cystic fibrosis. J. Dis. Children 1958; 96: 6–15.Google Scholar
- 7.Brasfield, D., Hicks, G., Soong, S. et al. Evaluation of a scoring system of chest radiographs in cystic fibrosis; a collaborative study. Am. J. Roentgenology 1980; 134: 1195–1198.Google Scholar
- 10.Jacobsen, L. E., Houston, C. S., Habbick, B. F. et al. Cystic Fibrosis: a comparison of computed tomography and plain films. J. Can. Assoc. Radiol. 1986; 37: 17–21.Google Scholar
- 15.Doershuk, C., Mathews, L., Tucker, A. et al. A five year clinical evaluation for a therapeutic program for patients with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Pediatrics 1964; 65: 667–693.Google Scholar
- 16.Glantz, S.A. Premier of biostatasatics. McGraw-Hill. 1981.Google Scholar