Secretion of active urokinase-type plasminogen activator from the yeastYarrowia lipolytica
- 33 Downloads
In order to study the secretion of the human urokinase-type plasminogen activator, u-PA, from the yeastYarrowia lipolytica, three kinds of integrative expression vector were constructed. These vectors differed only in their secretion control regions, pre-, pre-dip- (dipeptide stretch) or pre-dip-pro sequences of the alkaline extracellular protease, which were joined inframe to the human u-PA cDNA. The recombinantY. lipolytica strains, transformed with the expression vectors, secreted the hyperglycosylated u-PA. A fibrin plate assay of the culture supernatants showed that the hyperglycosylated u-PA proteins could catalyze fibrinolysis, and that the pre-dip sequence was the most efficient secretory signal for the secretion of the u-PA fromY. lipolytica. This result suggests thatY. lipolytica can be developed as a potential host for the production of recombinant human u-PA.
KeywordsYarrowia lipolytica urokinase-type plasminogen activator secretion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lijnen, H. R. and D. Collen (1991) Strategies for the improvement of thrombolytic agents.Thromb. Haemost. 66: 88–110.Google Scholar
- Wun, T. C., L. Ossowski, and E. Reich (1982) A proenzyme form of human urokinase.J. Biol. Chem. 257: 7262–7268.Google Scholar
- Melnick, L. M., B. G. Turner, P. Puma, B. Price-Tillotson, K. A. Salvato, D. R. Dumais, D. T. Moir, R. J. Broeze, and G. C. Avgerinos (1990) Characterization of a nonglycosylated single chain urinary plasminogen activator secreted from yeast.J. Biol. Chem. 265: 801–807.Google Scholar
- Tsujikawa, M., K. Okabayashi, M. Morita, and T. Tanabe (1996) Secretion of a variant of human single-chain urokinase-type plasminogen activator without an N-glycosylation site in the methylotrophic yeast,Pichia pastoris and characterization of the secreted product.Yeast 12: 541–553.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nelles, L., H. R. Lijnen, D. Collen, and W. E. Holmes (1987) Characterization of recombinant human single chain urokinase-type plasminogen activator mutants produced by site-specific mutagenesis of lysine 158.J. Biol. Chem. 262: 5682–5689.Google Scholar
- Ogrydziak, D. M. and R. K. Mortimer (1977) Genetics of extracellular protease production inSaccharomycopsis lipolytica.Genetics 87: 621–632.Google Scholar