Bird Fancier’s lung
- 28 Downloads
Five patients with extrinsic allergic alveolitis, due to Bird Fancier’s Disease are described. Four acquired their disease from pigeons and one from budgerigars. Four patients made a good recovery but one, a girl of 14 years who had the most severe disease initially, did not improve and progressed to pulmonary fibrosis and cor pulmonale.
The clinical, radiological, pathological, immunological and pulmonary function details are discussed and the literature reviewed.
KeywordsHypersensitivity Pneumonitis British Thoracic Society Bilateral Infiltrate Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis Pigeon Breeder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, D. H., Basten, A., Woolcock, A. J. 1977. HLA and bird breeder’s hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Monogr. Allergy. 11, 7.Google Scholar
- Bates, D. V. and Christie, R. V. 1964. Respiratory function in disease, 1st ed. p. 29. W. B. Saunders & Co.Google Scholar
- Elgefors, B.,Belin,L.,Hanson, L. A. 1971. Pigeon breeder’s lung. Clinical and immunological observations. Scand. J. Respir. Dis. 462, 187–176.Google Scholar
- Fik, J. N., Sosman, A. J., Barboriak, J. J., Schlueter, D. P., Holmes, B. A. 1968. Pilgeon breeders— disease: a clinical study of a hypersensitivity peeumonitis. Ann Intern. Med. 68, 1205–19.Google Scholar
- Fink, J. N., Schlueter, D. P., Sosman, A. J. 1972. 62, 277–281.Google Scholar
- Gell, P. J. H. and Coombs, R. R. A. 1968. Classification of allergic reactions responsible for clinical hypersensitivity and disease. Clinical Aspects of Immunology (Ed. 2). Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Johansson, S. G. O., Bennick, H. and Berg, T. 1971.In vitro diagnosis of atopic allergy. Int. Arch. Aller. and Applied Immun. 41, 443.Google Scholar
- Kom, D. S., Flonnan, D. K., Girbetz, I. 1968. Recurrent pneumonitis with hypersensitivity in hen litter. JAMA 20, 44.Google Scholar
- Pepys, J. 1969. Hypensensitivity diseases of the lungs due to fungi and organic dusts. Basel: S. Karger.Google Scholar
- Pickering, C. A. C. 1980. A 7 year survey of ‘allergic’ occupational lung disease in the United Kingdom. Eur. J. Resp. Dis. 61 (suppl. 107), 137–149.Google Scholar
- Unger, J. D., Fink, J. N. and Linger, G. F. 1968. Pigeon breeders’ disease. Radiol. 90, 683.Google Scholar
- Wright, R., Godfrey, R. C., Berrill, W. T., Evans, C. C. and Angel, J. 1984. A national survey of bird fanciers’ lung: including its possible association with jejunal villous atrophy (a report of the Research Committee of the British Thoracic Society). Br. J. Dis. Chest. 78, 75–87.CrossRefGoogle Scholar