Changes in the kidney and blood following hypoxic hypoxia in rats
- 17 Downloads
Rats were rendered hypoxic by maintaining them within silicone rubber membrane covered enclosures. In experiment one the inspired oxygen concentration was progressively reduced from 21 per cent to 7 per cent over a period of 13 days. In the second experiment the inspired oxygen was maintained at nine per cent for seven days.
The reticulocyte counts, haematocrit values and haemoglobin concentration of blood samples from control and hypoxic rats were measured. These results showed a significant increase in all three parameters in both experiments compared with the values from control rats.
The renin content of the kidneys of the rats was bioassayed by its hypertensive effect in bilaterally nephrectomised rats. There was no significant difference in renal renin content of the hypoxic rats of experiment one or two when compared with their controls.
These results do not support the concept that the juxtaglomerular cell granule is a source of erythropoietin or its precursors in rats.
KeywordsRenin Erythropoietin Reticulocyte Count Juxtaglomerular Cell Erythropoietin Production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cook, W. F. 1967. The detection of renin in juxtaglomerular cells. J. Physiol. 194, 73.Google Scholar
- Dacie, J. V. and Lewis, S. M. 1963. Practical Haematology, 3rd edn. Churchill. London, pp. 28.Google Scholar
- Edelman, R. and Hartroft, P. 1961. Localisation of renin on the juxtaglomerular cells of rabbit and dog through the use of fluorescent antibody technique. Circulation Res. 9, 1069.Google Scholar
- Friedman, M. and Freed, S. 1949. A microphonic manometer for the indirect determination of systolic blood pressure on the rat. Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. Med. 70, 617.Google Scholar
- Goldfarb, B. and Tobian, L. 1972. The inter-relationship of hypoxia, erythropoietin and the renal juxtaglomerular cells. Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. Med. 113, 510.Google Scholar
- Hartroft, P. M. 1963. Juxtaglomerular cells. Circulation Res. 12, 525.Google Scholar
- Hartroft, P. 1968. In Endocrine Pathology, ed. J. M. Bloodworth. Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins. p. 641.Google Scholar
- Hartroft, P., Bischoff, M. B. and Bucci, T. J. 1969. Effect of chronic exposure to high altitude on the juxtaglomerular complex and adrenal cortex of dogs, rabbits and rats. Fedn. Proc. 28, 1234.Google Scholar
- Lucas, J. 1971. A modified indirect method of blood pressure measurement in the conscious and unanaesthetised rat. J. Physiol. 218, 1P.Google Scholar
- Tobian, L., Thompson, J., Twedt, R. and Janecek, J. 1958. The granulation of the juxtaglomerula cells in renal hypertension, desoxycorticosterone and post-desoxycorticosterone hypertension, adrenal regeneration hypertension and adrenal insufficiency. J. clin. Invest. 37, 660.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar