A simplified method of cast bracing and its uses in the lower extremity
- 12 Downloads
Cast bracing is increasing in popularity in the United States and Britain. This paper reports the experience with thrity-two patients treated by a simplified cast bracing method in Cork Regional Hospital. It was found to be particularly effective in comminuted femoral fractures. Good results were also achieved with simple fractures. The technique can be used as an adjuvant to internal fixation but the principles used in these 2 methods are not complimentary to one another.
KeywordsInternal Fixation Femoral Fracture Tibial Fracture Tibial Plateau Fracture Femoral Shaft Fracture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carr, C. R., Wingo, C. H. 1973. “Fractures of the Femoral Diaphysis”. A retrospective study of the results and costs of treatment by intramedullary nailing and by traction and a spica cast. Journ. of Bone and Jt. Surg. 55A, 690–700.Google Scholar
- Connolly, J. F. and King, P. 1973. “Closed reduction and early Cast Brace ambulation in the Treatment of femoral fractures”. Part I, anin vivo quantitative analysis of immobilization in skeletal traction and a cast brace. Journ. of Bone and Jt. Surg. 55A, 1559–1580.Google Scholar
- Meggitt B. F., Juett, D. A. and Smith, J. D. 1981. “Cast Bracing for Fractures of the Femoral Shaft”. Journ. of Bone and Jt. Surg. 63B, 12–24.Google Scholar
- McKibbin, B. 1978. “The Biology of Fractures Healing in Long Bones”. Journ. of Bone and Jt. Surg. 60B, 150–163.Google Scholar
- Muller, M. E., Allgower, M. Willenegger, H. “Manual of Internal Fixation”. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York. 1970.Google Scholar
- Mooney, V., Nickel, V. L., Harvey, J. P. G., Snelson, R. 1970. “Cast brace treatment for fractures of the distal part of the femur”. Journ. of Bone and Jt. Surg. 52A, 1563–78.Google Scholar
- Rokkanen, P., Slatis, P. and Evankka. 1969. “Closed or Open Intramedullary nailing of Femoral Shaft Fractures? A comparison with conservatively treated cases”. Journ of Bone and Jt. Surg. 51B, 2, 313–323.Google Scholar
- Roper, B. A. 1981. Functional Bracing of Femoral Fractures. Journ of Bone and Jt. Surg. 63B, 1–3.Google Scholar
- Thomas, T. L. and Meggitt, B. F. 1981. “A Comparative Study of Methods for Treating Fractures of the Distal Half of the Femur”. Journ. of Bone and Jt. Surg. 63B, 3–7.Google Scholar
- Wardlaw, D. 1977. “The Cast-Brace treatment of Femoral Shaft Fractures. Journ of Bone and Jt. Surg. 59B, 411–16.Google Scholar