Essential pre-conceptual measures for the female partner before commencing an in vitro fertilisation programme
Two hundred and eighty-one women were checked for the presence of specific pre-conceptual data and their medico-legal implications prior to commencing an in vitro fertilisation (IVF) programme. In only 9.6 per cent were the results of a recent rubella test available in the patients referral notes. Fifty-four per cent were then tested in the unit. Two per cent were found to be not immune. Thirty-six per cent of women needed a cervical smear prior to commencing therapy. No such test had been undertaken previously in 6.7 per cent and 12.7 per cent had abnormal test results. Pre-conceptual intake of folic acid is considered an important preventative measure. The patient uptake rose from 15 per cent to 97 per cent following specific advice.
KeywordsFolic Acid Rubella Neural Tube Defect Referral Letter Rotunda Hospital
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Harrison, R. F. Stress in Infertility. In Recent Advances in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Ed: Bonnar, J. Churchill Livingstone Edinburgh. 1990; 16: 199–205.Google Scholar
- 2.WHO Scientific Group. Recent Advances in Medical Assisted conception. In: WHO Technical Report Series 820, Geneva, 1992; 1–7.Google Scholar
- 5.Infertility Guidelines for Practice. The Fertility Committee of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Basic investigation of the infertile couple: Advice to General Practitioner and description of initial assessment. RCOG Press 1992; 2: 3.Google Scholar
- 6.Chief Medical Officers and Chief Nursing Officers of the UK. 1992, Folic Acid And Neural Tube Defects: Guidelines on prevention. Report by the Department of Health, London.Google Scholar
- 9.The principles underlying In-vitro fertilisation. Institute of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. In: A Guide to Ethical Conduct and Behaviour and to Fitness to Practice; the Medical Council, Ireland; 1994, Appendix G, 62–63.Google Scholar
- 10.RCOG recommendation. Presidents Newsletter. Folic Acid Intake. Nov. 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.Health Promotion Unit, Department of Health, Ireland. What every woman needs to know about the prevention of Neural Tube Defects (Spina Bifida & Anencephaly). Patient’s information booklet 1994.Google Scholar