Virus origin of the oat sterile dwarf disease
- 29 Downloads
Virus particles (approximately 73 nm in diam.) usually showing an inner capside (45 nm in diam.) and similar to diplornaviruses, esp. reoviruses, were found in some cells of enations inAvena sativa andArrhenatherum elatius leaves infected with the oat sterile dwarf disease (OSDD). (The same virus particles were described by the authors in 1966 in the leafhopper vector.)
Mycoplasma-like microorganisms found in1969 in the OSDD leafhopper vector were absent in OSDD infected plants. Tetracycline did not affect symptom development in plants and did not alter the infectivity of the vector.
Therefore, OSDD is apparently of virus origin; mycoplasmas-like bodies found formerly in the OSDD vector are probably not involved in OSDD etiology.
KeywordsTetracycline Virus Particle Dwarf Virus Virus Origin Avena Sativa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brčák, J., Králík, O.:Virus and virus -like particles in gut cells ofJavesella pellucida (F.) carrying the oat sterile-dwarf virus.—In: Plant Virology (Proc. 6th Conf. Czechosl. Plant Virologists, Olomouc 1967): 138–141, 1969a.Google Scholar
- Brčák, J., Králík, O.: Cytopathological observations in plant hosts and vector of the oat sterile-dwarf disease.— Proc. 7th Conf. Czechosl. Plant Virologists, High Tatras 1971, in press. (1972).Google Scholar
- Brčák, J., Králík, O.,Vacke, J.: Virions of the oat sterile-dwarf virus in the midgut cells of its vectorJavesella pellucida.—Int. Symp. Plant Pathol. Dec. 27, 1966-Jan. 1, 1967, New Delhi, Abstr. of Papers -. 93–94, 1966.Google Scholar
- Ikäheimo, K.: A virus disease of oats in Finland similar to oat sterile-dwarf disease.—J. Sci. agr. Soc. Finland33: 81–87, 1961.Google Scholar
- Raynolds, E. S.: Use of lead citrate at high pH as an electron-opaque stain in electron-microscopy. —J. cell. Biol.17: 209, 1963.Google Scholar
- Vacke, J., PrůŠa, V.: Studium okruhu hostitelů viru sterilní zakrslosti ovsa. (Host range of the foat sterile dwarf virus).—Rostlinná Výroba (Praha)8: 463–474, 1962.Google Scholar