Extraction and refining of edible oil from extrusion-stabilized rice bran
- 185 Downloads
Rice bran oil extracted from extrusion-stabilized bran was processed to a high quality salad oil. Stabilization prevented free fatty acid formation in rice bran prior to solvent extraction of the oil and thus increased the yield of refined oil. The flake form of the stabilized bran allowed rapid solvent percolation and efficient lipid extraction. Degumming soon after extraction removed a larger proportion of the gums and waxes and resulted in a higher yield of refined oil than if this procedure was delayed. Alkali refining was found to be most efficient with a concentration of 16° Bé (2.77M) NaOH and 0.5% NaOH excess. Acid activated clay was effective in removing color from the refined oil, and the addition of charcoal did not improve bleaching ability. Stabilization temperatures, within the range studied, did not appear to affect the bleached oil color. Color was measured spectrophotometrically at 537 and 612 nm.
KeywordsBran Rice Bran Free Fatty Acid Content Extrusion Temperature Bleaching Clay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Takeshita, Y., Recent Advances in Cereal Oil Processing Technology, Presented at 7th World Cereal and Bread Congress, Prague (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.Enochian, R.V., R.M. Saunders, W.G. Schultz, E.C. Beagle and P.R. Crowley, Marketing Research Report 1120, Washington, D.C. (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.Takeshita, Y., Trans. Kokushikan Univ. Dept. Eng. No. 5, p. 1, Tokyo (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.Sayre, R.N., R.M. Saunders, R.V. Enochian, W.G. Schultz and E.C. Beagle, Cereal Foods World 27:317 (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.Saunders, R.M., and F. Heltved, J. Cereal Sci., In Press (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.Randall, J.M., R.N. Savre, W.G. Schultz, R.Y. Fong, A.P. Mossman, R.E. Tribelhorn and R.M. Saunders, J. Food Sci. 50:361 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, AOCS, Champaign, IL, 1983.Google Scholar
- 10.El-Amin, A.K., Investigation on the Extraction Characteristics of Stabilized Rice Bran, Unpublished report, Dept. of Agricultural and Chemical Engineering, Colorado State University, Fort Collins (1983).Google Scholar
- 12.Norris, F.A., In Bailey’s Industrial Oil and Fat Products, Swern, D., ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, Vol. 2, Chap. 4, 1979.Google Scholar
- 13.Norris, F.A., In Bailey’s Industrial Oil and Fat Products, Swern, D., ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, Vol. 1, Chap. 7, 1979.Google Scholar