TNO-6 has no effect in gastrointestinal cancer:N-acetyl-glucosaminidase shows renal damage
Twenty-five patients, 16 with gastric cancer and nine with colonic cancer, received TNO-6 30 mg m−2 every four weeks. No objective tumour response was recorded. Nausea and vomiting occurred in 21 patients and was severe in 17. Severe marrow suppression developed in five patients. Renal function was unaffected in all but one patients who developed renal failure, probably as a result of septicaemia. However, the renal tubular enzymeN-acetyl-\-d-glucosaminidase was measured in six patients and showed a rise in all. In this study TNO-6 had no anti-tumour activity in gastrointestinal malignancy, but produced significant renal tubular damage.
Key wordsGastric cancer TNO-6 NAG Tubular damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lehane D E, Zubler M A, Lane M, Smith F E: Intra-arterial cisplatin in metastatic or recurrent colon cancer.Proceedings of the 18th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, April, p. 94 (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.Lelieveld P, Atassi G, Van Putten L M: Preclinical toxicity studies of cisplatin and three currently developed analogues. Presented at the NII-EORTC Symposium on Nature, Prevention and Treatment of Clinical Toxicity of Anti-cancer Agents, Brussels, 25 September (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.Pinedo H, Ten Bokkel Hiunink W, Simonetta G, Gall H, Van der Vijgh W, Canetta R, Van Putten L, Vermorken J, McVie G: Phase II study and pharmacokinetics ofcis-1, 1-di(aminomethyl)cyclohexane Pt II sulphate (TNO-6).Proceedings of ASCO, Vol. 1, March (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.Pinedo H, Ten Bokkel Hiunink W, Gall H, McVie G, Simonetta G, Van der Vijgh W, Farber L, Vermorken J: Toxicity ofcis-1, 1di(aminomethyl)-cyclohexane platinum (Pt) II sulphate (TNO-6) in relation to method of administration.Proceedings of ASCO, March, p. 33 (1983).Google Scholar
- 8.Franks C R, Nys G, Materman, E, Uytdenhoef M, Canetta R, Lenaz L, Carter S K: TNO-6 (1,1-diamino-methylcyclohexane sulphate platinum II, NSC-311056) in phase II trials. InProceedings of the Fourth NCI-EORTC Symposium on New Drugs in Cancer Therapy, Brussels (1983).Google Scholar
- 9.Lockwood T D, Bossmann H B: The use of urinaryN-acetyl-\-glucosaminidase.Hum Renal Toxicity 49, 323 (1979).Google Scholar