Influence of site-directed mutagenesis on protein assembly and solubility of tadpole H-chain ferritin
- 41 Downloads
In order to understand the influence of ferroxidase center on the protein assembly and solubility of tadpole ferritin, three mutant plasmids, pTH58K, pTH61G, and pTHKG were constructed with the aid of site-directed mutagenesis and mutant proteins were produced inEscherichia coli. Mutant ferritin H-subunits produced by the cells carrying plasmids pTH58K and pTHKG were active soluble proteins, whereas the mutant obtained from the plasmid pTH61G was soluble only under osmotic stress in the presence of sorbitol and betaine. Especially, the cells carrying pTH61G together with the plasmid pGroESL harboring the molecular chaperone genes produced soluble ferritin. The mutant ferritin H-subunits were all assembled into ferritin-like holoproteins. These mutant ferritins were capable of forming stable iron cores, which means the mutants are able to accumulate iron with such modified ferroxidase sites. Further functional analysis was also made on the individual amino acid residues of ferroxidase center.
Key wordsmutagenesis ferritin assembly solubility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Harrison, P. M., S. C. Andrews, P. J. Artymiuk, G. C. Ford, D. M. Lawson, J. M. A. Smith, A. Treffry, and J. L. White (1990) Ferritin, In:Iron transfer and storage (Ponka, P., H. M. Schulman and R. C. Woodworth, eds.) p. 81–101 CRC press.Google Scholar
- Levi, S., A. Luzzago, G. Cesareni, A. Cozzi, F. Franceschinelli, A. Albertini and P. Arosio (1988) Mechanism of ferritin iron uptake: Activity of the H-chain and deletion mapping of the ferro-oxidase site.J. Biol. Chem. 263, 18086–18092.Google Scholar
- Kim, Y.-T. and K.-S. Kim (1994) Synthesis of active tadpole H-chain ferritin inEscherichia coli.Mol. Cells 4, 125–129.Google Scholar
- Hames, B. D. and D. Rickwood (1983) In:Gel electrophoresis of proteins. IRL press. Oxford.Google Scholar
- Chang, S.-R., Y.-T. Kim, and K.-S. Kim (1995) Purification and characterization of recombinant tadpole H-chain ferritin inEscherichia coli.J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 3, 238–242.Google Scholar
- Keshavarz-Moore, E., R. Olbrich, M. Hoare and P. Dunnill (1991) Application of biochemical engineering principles to develop a recovery process for protein inclusion bodies. p. 307–314. In: Prokop, A. and R. K. Bajpai (ed.)Recombinant DNA technology I. Annals of NY academy of Sciences. NY.Google Scholar
- Georgopoulos, C. (1992) The emergence of the chaperone machines.TIBS 17, 295–299.Google Scholar