Phytoplankton successions under ice cover in four lakes located in North-Eastern Sweden: Effects of liming
- 67 Downloads
Phytoplankton successions under ice cover (January–March) were determined in four oligotrophic lakes (Burtjärn, Aspen, Vialamptjärn and Storkorstjärn) located in North-Eastern Sweden. The total phosphorus concentration in the lakes was less than 10 µg/L. Lake Burtjärn (reference lake) had a similar hydrology as Lake Aspen. Storkorstjärn and Vialamptjärn were of similar hydrology and had heavily colored water (>100 mgPt/L). Aspen as well as Vialamptjärn became continuously limed with calcium carbonate annually during the last decades. Biodiversity was considerably higher in the limed lakes (Aspen and Vialamptjärn) than in the untreated lakes (Burtjärn and Storkorstjärn). In Lake Burtjärn the most frequent species wereRhodomonas lacustris, Tabellaria flocculosa andBotryococcus braunii. Cryptophyceae (R. lacustris andCryptomonas marssonii) andDinophyceae (especiallyGymnodinium lantzschii) were common phytoplankton groups in Lake Aspen.Tabellaria flocculosa was also the most common organism in both humic lakes Storkorstjärn and Vialamptjärn, other phytoplankton groups were in the humic lakes scarce. Liming was found to have profound effects on phytoplankton communities studied.
KeywordsLime Phytoplankton Community Acid Stress Oligotrophic Lake Phytoplankton Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Findlay D.L., Kasian S.E.M., Stainton M.P., Beaty K., Lyng M.: Climatic influences on algal populations of boreal lakes in the Experimental Lakes Area.Limnol.Oceanogr.46, 1784–1793 (2001).Google Scholar
- Kangas P., Alasaarela E., Lax H., Jokela S., Storgård-Envall C.: Seasonal variation of primary production and nutrient concentrations in the coastal waters of the Bothnian Bay and the Quark.Aqua Fenn.23, 165–176 (1993).Google Scholar
- Smolar N., Vrhovsek D., Kosi G.: Effects of low flow on periphyton in three different types of streams in Slovenia, pp. 107–116 inAdvances in River Bottom Ecology (G. Bretschko, J. Helesič, Eds). Backhuys Publishers, Leiden (The Netherlands) 1998.Google Scholar
- Swedish Environmental Protection Agency: Bedömningsgrunder för miljökvalitet, sjöar och vattendrag. Rapport 4913. (In Sweden) (Environmental Quality Criteria: Lakes and Watercourses: ISBN 91-620-4913-5). Statens Naturvårdsverk, Solna (Sweden) 1999.Google Scholar
- Wetzel R.G., Likens G.E.:Limnological Analyses, 3rd ed. Springer-Verlag, New York 2000.Google Scholar