Isospectral potentials and conformally equivalent isospectral metrics on spheres, balls and Lie groups
- 39 Downloads
We construct pairs of conformally equivalent isospectral Riemannian metrics ϕ1g and ϕ2g on spheres Sn and balls Bn+1 for certain dimensions n, the smallest of which is n=7, and on certain compact simple Lie groups. In the case of Lie groups, the metric g is left-invariant. In the case of spheres and balls, the metric g not the standard metric but may be chosen arbitrarily close to the standard one. For the same manifolds (M, g) we also show that the functions ϕ1 and ϕ2 are isospectral potentials for the Schrödinger operator ħ2\gD + \gf. To our knowledge, these are the first examples of isospectral potentials and of isospectral conformally equivalent metrics on simply connected closed manifolds.
Math Subject Classifications58J53 58J50
Key Words and PhrasesLaplace operator spectrum Schrödinger operator conformally equivalent metrics isospectral potentials
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ballmann, W. On the construction of isospectral manifolds, preprint, (2000).Google Scholar
- Gordon, C.S. Isospectral closed Riemannian manifolds which are not locally isometric: II,Geometry of the Spectrum. Brooks, R., Gordon, C., and Perry, P., Eds.Contemp. Math., AMS,173, 121–131, (1994).Google Scholar
- Gordon, C.S. Survey of isospectral manifolds,Handbook of Differential Geometry, Dillen, F.J.E. and L.C.A. Verstraelen, L.C.A., Eds., 1, Elsevier, 747–778, (2000).Google Scholar
- Ikeda, A. Isospectral problem for spherical space forms,Spectra of Riemannian Manifolds, Berger, M., Murakami, S., and Ochiai, T., Eds., Kaigai Publications, 57–63, (1983).Google Scholar
- Ikeda, A. Riemannian manifoldsp-isospectral but not (p+1)-isospectral,Geometry of Manifolds (Matsumoto), Perspect. Math., Academic Press, Boston, MA,8, 383–417, (1989).Google Scholar
- Miatello, R. and Rosseti, J.P. Length spectra andp-spectra of compact flat manifolds, preprint, (2003), math.DG/0110325.Google Scholar
- Pöschel, J. and Trubowitz, E.Inverse Spectral Theory, Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 130, Academic Press, (1987).Google Scholar
- Spivak, M.Differential Geometry III. Publish or Perish, (1975).Google Scholar
- Szabo, Z.I. Cornucopia of isospectral pairs of metrics on balls and spheres with different local geometries, preprint, (2000), math. DG/0011034.Google Scholar