Failure analysis of a hot extrusion die used for Al-Li alloy processing
- 66 Downloads
Al-Li alloys being developed as lighter, substitutes for conventional high strength Al alloys are to be processed by routine methods. During extrusion of a 8090 Al-Li alloy, the extrusion die container failed causing some alarm. This failed die container was analysed to examine if the failure was caused by interaction of Li diffusing out of Al-Li alloy with the carbides of die steel. The evidence, although not conclusive, is sufficient to exercise caution during such processing.
KeywordsAl-Li alloys extrusion die failure diffusion Li-carbide interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmad M 1987Metall. Trans. A18 681Google Scholar
- Field D J, Butler E P and Scamans G M 1981 inAl-Li alloys 1981, (eds) T H Sanders Jr. and E A Starke Jr. (Warrendale PA: TMS) p. 325Google Scholar
- Grimes R, Davis T, Saxty H J and Fearson J E 1987 inProc. of the 4th intl. conf. on Al-Li alloys; J. Phys. (Paris) 48 11Google Scholar
- Metals Handbook 1980 9th ed. Vol. 3 p. 439Google Scholar
- Papazian J M, Schulte R L and Adler P N 1986Metall. Trans. A18 635Google Scholar
- Wefers K and Mozelewski K A 1988Aluminium 68 295Google Scholar