The effect of L-buihionine-[S,R]-sulfoximine on the pancreas in mice
L-Buthionine-[S,R]-Sulfoximine (BSO) decreases glutathione levels in various organs by inhibition of γ-glutamylcysteine synthetase. We have examined the levels of total glutathione and oxidized glutathione in the pancreas of mice, as well as serum amylase and pancreatic histology, after BSO administration in two different ways. The injection of a single dose of BSO (5 mmol/kg body wt) decreased total glutathione to 10% of the control value. A similar depletion was observed after 24 h of oral administration of a 10 mM BSO solution, without changes in the levels of oxidized glutathione. BSO-induced pancreatic glutathione depletion —even if maintained for up to 14 d—did not cause morphological alterations of the pancreas or hyperamylasemia. Thus pancreatic glutathione depletion in itself does not lead to pancreatitis, although during development of experimental acute pancreatitis, glutathione depletion has been described. BSO might be used in animal models to weaken the glutathione-based acinar defense mechanisms against oxidant stress or to alter other physiologic processes in which glutathione is involved.
Key WordsPathophysiology of acute pancreatitis oxidant stress γ-glutamylcysteine synthetase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Lüthen R, Niederau C, Grendell JH. Intrapancreatic activation of digestive zymogens during caerulein pancreatitis inrats: a possible role for changes in ATP and glutathionelevels. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 6.Schoenberg MH, Büchler M, Eisele S, Younes M, Beger HG. Changes in glutathione and energy metabolism in acutepancreatitis, inChirurgisches Forum 1992, Gall, Beger, Ungeheuer, eds., Springler-Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg, 1992, pp. 201–204.Google Scholar
- 9.Githens S. Glutathione metabolism in the pancreas, compared with that in liver, kidney, and small intestine.Int JPancreatol 1991; 8: 97–109.Google Scholar
- 10.Tietze F. Enzymatic method for quantitative determinationof nanogram amounts of total and oxidized glutathione:applications to mammal blood and other tissues.AnalBiochem 1969; 27: 502–522.Google Scholar
- 17.Stenson WF, Lobos E, Wedner HJ. Glutathione depletioninhibits amylase release in guinea pig pancreatic acini.AmJ Physiol 1983; 244: G273–277,Google Scholar