Prediction of bed height in a self-aggregating yeast ethanol tower fermenter
- 39 Downloads
A packed bed region and a mixed region were observed in an ethanol tower fermenter packed with flocs of self-aggregating yeast. Sizes of yeast flocs were 2–3 mm and 0.2–0.3 mm in diameter in the packed bed region and the mixed region, respectively. Three major factors were found to affect the height of the packed bed region significantly. They were dilution rate, nutrient limitation, and hydrodynamic limitation. An empirical method was proposed using these three factors to predict the height of the packed bed region in the fermenter.
Index EntriesEthanol fermentation yeast aggregates Saccharomyces uvarum tower fermenter packed bed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Begovich, J. M. and Watson, J. S. (1978),Fluidization, Davidson, J. F. and Keairns, D. L., eds., Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 190–195.Google Scholar
- 4.Chen. L. F. and Gong, C. S. (1985),Biotechnol. Bioeng. 14, 257.Google Scholar
- 6.Christensen, R., Gon, C. S., Tang, R., Chen, L. F., and Rimedio, N. (1990),Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 24, 25.Google Scholar
- 10.Levenspiel, O. (1972),Chemical Reaction Engineering, 2nd Ed., John Wiley, NY, Ch. 6.Google Scholar
- 11.Maxworthy, T. (1965),J. Fluid Mech. 23, 2, 369.Google Scholar
- 12.Prince, I. G. and Barford, J. P. (1982),Biotechnol. Lett. 4, 7, 469.Google Scholar