Oils from Wild, Micropropagated Plants, Calli, and Suspended Cells ofEuphorbia characias L.
- 31 Downloads
Micropropagated Euphorbia characias plants gave higher yields of crude oil than did wild ones. Leaves of either wild and micropropagated plants contained more oil than did stems. Triterpenols, hydrocarbons, and free and esterified fatty acids are components of the crude oil produced by stems, young and mature leaves of wild and micropropagated E. characias plants, as well as by calli and suspended cells. With the exception of the free fatty acids fraction, all crude oil fractions were higher in micropropagated plants than in the wild ones. The crude oil content of leaves of either wild or micropropagated plants was higher than that of stems. However the triterpenols yields were higher in stems than in leaves, both in wild and micropropagated plants. The composition of the triterpenol fraction of the crude oil obtained from calli and suspended cells is quite different from that produced by any in vivo parent plant organ studied. Free fatty acids constitute the main fraction of the crude oil obtained from calli and suspended cells.
Index EntriesEuphorbia characias micropropagation calli suspended cells oil
- 2.Fernandes-Ferreira, M., Pais, M. S. S., and Novais, J. M. (1990),Biomass for Energy and Industry, 5th E. C. Conference, Grassi, G., Gosse, G., and Santos, G., eds., vol. 1, pp. 517, Elsevier, London.Google Scholar
- 3.Buchanan, R. A., Cull, I. M., Otey, F. H., and Russel, C. R. (1978),Economic Botany 32, 131–153.Google Scholar
- 4.Ng’eny-Mengech, A. and Kihumba, S. N. (1985),Energy from Biomass, 3rd E. C. Conference, Palz, W., Coombs, J., and Hall, D. O., eds., pp. 749, Elsevier, London.Google Scholar
- 5.Wiatr, S. M., (1985),Biomass 4, 59.Google Scholar
- 14.Hirayama, O. and Suzuki, T. (1968),Agric. Biol. Chem. 32, 549.Google Scholar
- 15.Kates, M. (1970),Adv. Lipid Res. 8, 225.Google Scholar
- 16.Matsuzaki, T., Koiwai, A, Nagao, T., Sato, F., and Yamada, Y. (1984),Agric. Biol. Chem. 48, 1699.Google Scholar