Some virus and virus-like diseases of tobacco, tomato, papaya, and rubber tree in vietnam and cambodia
- 59 Downloads
In Vietnam a green strain of tobacco mosaic virus was isolated having TIP 89°C (10 min) and causing systemic necrosis in tobacoo ‘Xanthi-nc’ and sometimes also inDatura stramonium. In symptomless tomato plants an elongated virus belonging apparently to the Carlavirus group (NL 630 nm) was found. In papaya trees showing severe symptoms of mosaic and/or ringspot elongated virus particles (NL 730 nm) were observed; this virus being apparently a member of the Potyvirus group, resembled as far as its symptoms in papaya are concerned, the papaya ringspot or the distortion ringspot. In Cambodia some young rubber trees showed malformed leaves (esp. edges and veins) with yellow discolorations along the veins. Such leaves contained elongated virus-like particles (rigid or slightly flexible) of various length (60 to 880 nm), so that their normal length (NL) could not be established precisely. Particles 120 to 150 nm long occurred very frequently.
KeywordsTomato Plant Tobacco Mosaic Virus Rubber Tree Papaya Tree Necrotic Local Lesion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adsuar, J.: A new virus disease of papaya(Carica papaya) in Puerto Rico. - J. Agr. Univ. Puerto Rico4: 397–402, 1972.Google Scholar
- BrčáK, J.: [Electron micrographs of rod-shaped viruses improved by preparing specimens from dry leaves.] In Czech. - Oehrana rostlin (Praha)8: 319–322, 1972.Google Scholar
- Cook, A. A.: Virus diseases of papaya. - Ba$$ 750 (Technical) Florida agr. Exp. Sta., Univ. Florida 1972.Google Scholar
- Jensen, D. D.: A new virus disease of papaya. - Univ. Haw. agr. Exp. Sta. biennal Rep. 1944 to 1946 : 67, 1947.Google Scholar
- Jensen, D. D.: Papaya virus diseases with special reference to papaya ringspot. - Phytopathology39: 191–211, 1949.Google Scholar
- Khurana, S. M. P., Bhargava, K. S.: Induced apocarpy and “double papaya” fruit formation in papaya with distortion ringspot virus infection. - Plant Dis. Rep.54: 181–183, 1970.Google Scholar
- Singh, A. B.: A new virus disease ofCarica papaya in India. - Plant Dis. Rep.53: 267–269, 1969.Google Scholar