Immunoaffinity purification of glucose/xylose isomerase fromStreptomyces
- 49 Downloads
A procedure was developed to purify glucose/xylose isomerase from cell extract ofStreptomyces sp. NCIM 2730 using immunoaffinity chromatography. High-titer polyclonal antibodies were raised in rabbit using electrophoretically homogeneous glucose/xylose isomerase as an antigen. The specificity of antibodies was confirmed by double immunodiffusion, rocket electrophoresis, and Western-blot ELISA, which revealed the presence of a single immunoreactive protein with an Mr of 40,000. The antibodies recognized 2-3 antigenic determinants/mol of enzyme and were found to partially neutralize the enzymatic activity in an immunotitration experiment. The affinity gel was prepared by coupling antibodies at pH 10.0 to divinyl sulfone-activated Sepharose CL-4B. The glucose/xylose isomerase purified by immunoaffinity chromatography yielded 75% recovery with a single enzymatically active protein band on gel electrophoresis and showed specific activity of 16 U/mg. The crossreaction of the antibodies with glucose isomerase from other actinomycetes indicated that they share common epitopes.
KeywordsStreptomyces Apply Biochemistry Isomerase Divinyl Cobalt Chloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Vangrysperre, W., Callens M., Kersters-Hilderson, H., and De-Bruyne, E. (1988),Biochem. J. 250, 153–160.Google Scholar
- 6.Takasaki, Y. and Tanabe, O. (1966),Agric. Biol. Chem. 30, 220–225.Google Scholar
- 7.Dische, Z. and Borenfreund, E. (1951),J. Biol. Chem. 912, 583–587.Google Scholar
- 12.Heidelberger and Kendall (1980), inPractical Immunology (Hudson L. and Hay F. C., eds.), Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, pp. 107–112.Google Scholar
- 13.Maurer, H. R. (1971), Disc gel electrophoresis and related techniques of PAGE, Berlin, Walter de Gruyter, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yamanaka, K. (1975),Methods in Enzymology 41, Wood, W. A., ed., Academic, New York, pp. 466–471.Google Scholar