Micro-inhomogeneous structure of liquid Al−Fe alloys
- 39 Downloads
Using X-ray diffraction, the structure factors of molten Al−Fe alloys were determined as a function of composition at a constant 1 550°C. The nearest neighbour distance and coordination number are given. Both structure factors and total density functions could be well reproduced by a micro-inhomogeneous model. The entire concentration region can be divided into four intervals with Al, Al7Fe, Al5Fe2, Fe3Al and Fe acting as borders. Alloys situated at the borders of the concentration intervals contain clusters of one type whose composition represents that of the alloy in question. The alloys between the borders contain clusters of the two border types.
KeywordsAl−Fe alloy melts X-ray micro-inhomogeneous model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mondolfo, L. F.,Aluminum Alloys: Structure and Properties, London: Butterworths, 1976, 244–245.Google Scholar
- 4.Emelganov, A. V., Bazin, Yu. A., Klimenkov, E. A., An X-ray study of melts of the Fe−Al system,Fiz Svoistva Met: Splavov, 1983, 4: 88.Google Scholar
- 5.Homtova, E. V., Sluhofskii, Romanova, A. V., Structure of aluminum-iron melts,J. Phys. (in Russian), 1986, 31 (7): 1045.Google Scholar
- 7.Kita, V., Zeze, M., Morita, Z., Structural analysis of molten Fe−Si alloys by X-ray diffraction.Transactions ISIJ, 1982, 22: 571.Google Scholar
- 8.Wasada, Y.,The Structure of Non-crystalline Materials, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1980, 27–36.Google Scholar
- 10.Ilinskii, A. G., Sliusarenko, S. I., Hoyer, W., et al., Liquid atomic structure of Bi-Ga system,Tam Zhie, 1992, 14(12): 35.Google Scholar
- 11.Buhalenko, V. V., Ilinskii, A. G., Romanova, A. V., et al., X-ray diffraction study on the liquid structure of Zn-Ga alloy system,Metallofizika, 1991, 13(10): 92.Google Scholar