Thermodynamic measurements in liquid Sn−Ag Alloys
- 68 Downloads
The reversible galvanic cell:
electrolyte was employed to determine the thermodynamic properties of liquid Sn−Ag Alloys in the range ofX Sn from 0.2 to 0.9 and in the overall temperature range of 825° to 1111°K. The data are consistent with the phase diagram. At 900°K, tin shows both positive and negative deviations from Raoult’s law, anda Sn values agree well with the determinations of Frantik and McDonald but not with those of Laurieet al. At 1100°K, both tin and silver exhibit negative deviations from Raoult’s law lines.
$$ Sn(l), SnO_2 (s)/CaO - ZrO_2 /Sn - Ag(1),SnO_2 (s) $$
KeywordsMetallurgical Transaction Electromotive Force Partial Molar Free Energy Maximum Oxygen Content Partial Thermodynamic Quantity
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G. H. Laurie, A. W. H. Morris, and J. N. Pratt:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1966, vol. 236, pp. 1390–95.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Itagaki and A. Yazawa:Trans. Japan Inst. of Metals, 1969, vol. 10, pp. 259–66.Google Scholar
- 4.R. O. Frantik and H. J. McDonaldTrans. Electrochem. Soc., 1945, vol. 88, pp. 253–62.Google Scholar
- 5.J. A. Yanko, A. E. Drake, and F. Hovorka:Trans. Electrochem. Soc., 1946, vol. 89, pp. 357–72.Google Scholar
- 7.C. R. Cavanaugh and J. F. Elliott:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1964, vol. 230, pp. 633–38.Google Scholar
- 8.R. J. Fruehan:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1968, vol. 242, pp. 2007–8.Google Scholar
- 10.J. F. Elliott and M. Gleiser:Thermochemistry of Steelmaking, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Mass., 1960.Google Scholar
- 11.Maeda:Bull. Inst. Phys. Chem. Research (Tokyo), 1923, vol. 2, p. 350.Google Scholar
- 14.G. R. Belton and E. S. Tankins:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1965, vol. 233, pp. 1892–98.Google Scholar
- 15.M. Hansen and K. Anderko.Constitution of Binary Alloys, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1958.Google Scholar
- 16.F. D. Rossin:Experimental Thermochemistry, F. D. Rossini, ed., Interscience Publishers Ltd., London, 1956.Google Scholar
© ASM International & TMS-The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society 1971