Visualizing convection and solidification in metallic alloys
- 101 Downloads
Industrial production relies mainly on post-processing quality checks to qualify castings for macrosegregation. However, segregation information within the melt phase is important for the understanding of the solidification process and the attained mechanical or electronic properties of alloys. To reach that goal, visualization of the transport processes in the melt becomes crucial.
KeywordsNatural Convection Convective Flow Mushy Zone Isothermal Solidification Oscillatory Convection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J.B. Mullin, “Segregation in InSb,”Compound Semiconductor V1, Preparation of in-v Compounds, ed. R.K. Willardson and M.L. Goeling (New York: Reinhold Publishing, 1962), pp. 365–381.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Ostrach, “Fluid Mechanics in Crystal Growth—The 1982 Freeman Scholar Lecture,”J. Fluids Engng., 105 (1983), pp. 5–20.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Viskanta, “Heat Transfer During Melting and Solidification of Metals,”J. Heat Transf., 110 (1988), pp. 1205–1219.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Viskanta, “Mathematical Modeling of Transport Processes during Solidification of Binary Systems,”JSME Int. J., Ser. III, 33 (1990), pp. 409–423.Google Scholar
- 12.“Numerical Simulation of Oscillatory Convection in Low-Pr Fluids,”Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics, ed. B. Roux (Braunschweig, Germany: Vierweg & Sons, 1990).Google Scholar
- 23.J.N. Koster, T. Seidel, and R. Drrebail, “A Radioscopic Technique to Study Convective Fluid Dynamics in Opaque Liquid Metals,” submitted toJ. Fluid Mech. Google Scholar
- 29.J.N. Koster and R. Derebail, “A Threshold for Onset of Natural Convection in Binary Metallic Alloys,”Heat and Mass Transfer (1997), in press.Google Scholar
- 30.R.T. DeHoff,Thermodynamics in Materials Science, New York: McGraw Hill, Inc., 1993).Google Scholar
- 32.V.M. Glazov, L.M. Pavlova, and S.V. Stankus, “Liquation Phenomena in CMT Melts and Their Volumetric Properties,”Centrifugal Materials Processing, 3rd ed., ed. L.L. Regel and W.R. Wilcox (New York: Plenum, 1997).Google Scholar